PDA

View Full Version : My P. murinus

Mikey
07-14-2008, 07:20 PM
Well I originally got this critter from Ollie, I only ever really see it for a few seconds if I go into the room after lights out...Well... sometimes if I'm lucky. That is providing It doesn't see me first. Even when I put crickets in it kinda just reaches out and pulls them into the hole it calls home and I see the substrate heave for a couple of seconds. But for some reason today I dropped a cricket in and bang it was right out in the open and on it in half a heartbeat. I even got to open the lid and take some pics.

Getting Pics of this thing for me is very rare. It is so fast, and the slightest overhead shadow or vibration sends it like a speeding orange comet underground. Seriously I have seen it out blinked to focus and it just wasn't there no more. Seeing it today after not seeing it for so long made me realize that it too has doubled it's size & is in desperate need of a nice enclosure. I thought I had read somewhere that these get about 14-15 centimeters long, does anyone know if this is accurate?
http://i19.photobucket.com/albums/b166/mikeydadog/Spiders%20and%20such/July1408025.jpg
http://i19.photobucket.com/albums/b166/mikeydadog/Spiders%20and%20such/July1408029.jpg

Cheers, Mikey.

Michael
07-14-2008, 07:49 PM
Don't you just love these? easily a favorite in my collection but you are right, they don't give away too many photo ops:rolleyes: I also expect mine to molt soon, it sure had a fat booty last time i saw it and it seems to be refusing food, which i find is rare with these! I would love to try a communal project with these, but right now i have no more room for inverts:( so it will have to wait.

While i have never had an adult of this species, i have heard females can get as large as 6", with males being smaller, sometimes significantly.

Ollie
07-14-2008, 09:11 PM
Nice picture Mikey. They are beauties with attitude. I just measured my mature male and he is 4.5 inches but he looks puny next to my female.
Funny that your's started coming out now since I just noticed that her/his sibling, which I still have, is also more visible lately.
Micheal is yours one you got from me as well?

Ollie

Michael
07-14-2008, 09:18 PM
Ollie, That would be the one:D! i really wanna get more of these beauties, but after that last order i got, i just don't have the space. mine is roughly 2" at the moment, but as mentioned i think it is going to molt soon and then i can hopefully sex it, although ventrally it looks male.

nox invictus profundum
07-15-2008, 06:17 AM
These Pterinochilus are very neat to look at considering how shy they are..... I have a P lugardi, and I rarely see the beast except for the occasional late night sighting. They're so skittish they'd run if you cut a loud fart!! As to a tank size, I just went with the small exo terra tank with the slide-lock top. I believe the tank measures out to 1.5 or 2 gallons or something like that, but you know what I'm talking about.

jennayoung99
07-15-2008, 07:43 AM
wow!!! just beautiful i love it, if only my husband would let me get one.