PDA

View Full Version : Molting??

Asha
07-06-2008, 06:08 PM
Im a new owner to a beautiful Chilean Rose. Shes roughly around four or five years old and I got her at the Reptile show in May. Recently shes been collecting brown spots on her abdomen and has become very very docile and skiddish which isnt common because the first month she was very social and sweet.

I think shes molting but I dont know, and Im terrfide she may be sick or whatever since Ive never seen her molt and never seen a Rose molt.

I took some terrible pictures with my mothers terrible camera, but if you know can you help me? Is she just molting or should I take her to the vet?

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v220/ashaa/IMG_1024.jpg?t=1215392825

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v220/ashaa/IMG_1012.jpg?t=1215392865

Ollie
07-06-2008, 09:30 PM
I wouldn't worry too much. She is probably getting ready to molt. Has she been flicking a lot of hairs? That could be the reason for the spots as well.
I am worried about the substrate you're using. It looks like cedar bark or something similiar. This is very bad for your T and you should change to peat moss or coco fibre substrate as soon as you can. Do you have a water dish in with your girl? I didn't see one in the pic's.

Ollie

Asha
07-06-2008, 10:35 PM
no thats coconut shavings from the pet store.
and her water dish is huge (ha)
well its shallow its just wide. But since I dont see her hanging out in it much I try to keep the turaniam sprayed down.

Is it okay to change her shavings while shes molting though? because its about that time for her but I don't want to do anything to harm her

Michael
07-07-2008, 04:47 PM
Honestly, to me it doesn't look like she is going to molt. The brown dots you are seeing one her back is, as Ollie mentioned, missing urticating hairs and the brown you are seeing is her "skin" (you know what i mean) underneath. When the exposed exo starts to darken (it will almost turn black) then she has an impending molt. When she molts, she will flip on her back and push herself out of her old exoskeleton, this may take a long time depending on her size.

Also, rosies like it dry, you don't need to mist at all just keep the water dish full and that's all she needs. If that is just coco husk, it's fine but something like Ollie mentioned would be better.

Hope that helps, good luck with her!