PDA

View Full Version : New Critters

Michael
07-05-2008, 02:45 PM
HI all!

Neil just stopped by with a few things for me, 10 H. troglodytes and a pair of H. paucidens. I will be raising the H. troglodytes to adults then i will be starting a breeding project with them, hopefully get some CB circulating in the hobby as these are pretty much exclusively WC.

Here are some pictures, and anyone else who got new inverts, feel free to post here as well!

http://img363.imageshack.us/img363/3662/img0718zv6.jpg

http://img79.imageshack.us/img79/888/img0721lz7.jpg

http://img363.imageshack.us/img363/9383/img0723hm6.jpg

It just wants a hug!!!

http://img56.imageshack.us/img56/2788/img0719pr3.jpg

More to follow!

EDIT: I can't believe i forgot to say this!! A very big thank you to Tarantula Canada for these lovely scorps, and thank you to Neil for picking them up and delivering them!

elmoclew1987
07-05-2008, 02:49 PM
...yuckie!, lol but im sure they are beautiful to you, congrats on your new critters!

Michael
07-05-2008, 02:54 PM
And now for the H. paucidens pair, first is the male and them the female.

http://img368.imageshack.us/img368/1106/img0727cf4.jpg

http://img68.imageshack.us/img68/236/img0728kt7.jpg

And the female, she has a lump on her left side which concerns me a bit.

http://img353.imageshack.us/img353/511/img0729aj1.jpg

And the lump.

http://img388.imageshack.us/img388/1848/img0737at2.jpg

Alberta Bred Geckos, you had a P. cavimanus with a similar lump if i remember correctly? may i ask how the scorp is currently doing?

Thats all the photos (well, for now anyways)!

Enjoy!

Michael
07-05-2008, 02:56 PM
...yuckie!, lol but im sure they are beautiful to you, congrats on your new critters!

Well, i'll admit, they are kinda drab looking but i find them fascinating and can't wait to start breeding them!!!

nox invictus profundum
07-05-2008, 03:22 PM
Damn!! I should have jumped on that tarcan deal, but as per usual it's a question of money I dont have..... I'm really liking those H troglodytes, drab looking but an interesting species nonetheless. You should let me know if you have any for sale Micheal. I can't sat anything about the wierd lump, but my H paucidens has lots of scarring on his tergites. The beast is WC, which would explain it... Good luck with the breeding program dude!!

Michael
07-05-2008, 03:47 PM
Hadogenes is my favorite genus of scorp and i'm so happy that i am one step closer to breeding them:D. I probably won't have any for sale for a long time. The ones i got are all small - medium in size. being that they are some of the slowest growing scorps out there i expect it to be a couple years before i have any ready to breed and then theres that whole 18+ month gestation period...lots of waiting involved:(

And about the lump, i believe i read a discussion on something similar (in fact, i believe it was an H. paucidens as well) and it was thought to be a wound of some kind, possibly from being stung by another scorp. I'm not terribly worried about it as she moves around fine, i just won't be breeding them until it's resolved.

jenna
07-05-2008, 04:53 PM
hey michael did you just get those yesterday off of westjet flight 751 from montreal. because if so i unloaded those for you and dont worry i took good care of them and made sure my drivers brought them in right away because a storm was coming. If they were yours anyways i reconized neils name on the packing list. haa one girl on my crew was scared because it said reptiles on my offload sheet. anyways hope you like them theyre cool looking

GreenEyedHawk
07-05-2008, 05:13 PM
Wow, interesting. The first one...his tail is very disproportionate to the size of his body, crazy! Are they venomous/dangerous to people?

Michael
07-05-2008, 05:38 PM
Jenna, they were in the box that Neil picked up, Thank you for the extra effort, much appreciated!

GreenEyedHawk, yes they are venomous but nothing significant to humans, unless you happen to be allergic. Their first line of defense (other than hiding) is to pinch, and what a pinch they have! you can actually tell a lot just by looking at a scorp, big claws, small tail = mild venom or small claws and thick tail = strong venom. Not always true of course but generally speaking.

Neil
07-05-2008, 06:01 PM
hey michael did you just get those yesterday off of westjet flight 751 from montreal.
That would be the one alright.Good job having them ready to be picked up .Last time it took them about 3 hours to find them,I was getting more than a little stressed!

Ollie
07-06-2008, 07:55 AM
Good looking scorps Mike. I got a few spiders on this order and thanks Neil for delivering them to me.
I haven't got any pictures yet because they are too small and except for the pinktoe too fast. Faster than warp speed more like .........magic!:D

I got:

1 Avicularia versicolor
2 Tapinauchineus purpureus
2 Tapinauchineus cupreus
1 Linothele megatheloides

Fed them all this morning and everyone is munching down right now.

Ollie

Cody
07-06-2008, 10:01 AM
I haven't got any pictures yet because they are too small and except for the pinktoe too fast. Faster than warp speed more like .........magic!:D

Another joins the ranks of the owners of the speed demons, those things are the most active little buggers ever, and dont stop for nothing, even once they have a cricket in their faces they still move around. Possibly my favourite tarantula though, its as jumpy and quick as my crested's, but much much more delicate.

Michael
07-06-2008, 10:37 AM
Nice list Ollie! That Linothele megatheloides is sure a cool looking spider! I really should get my hands on a versi... I've wanted one for a while now i just haven't got around to getting one.

A little update on the H. paucidens, the male has eaten 2 large crickets so far and the female has eaten one as well. The lump on her side doesn't seem to have slowed her down any (in fact, she seem faster than the male), so i think everything will be ok:)

nox invictus profundum
07-06-2008, 11:11 AM
Wow, interesting. The first one...his tail is very disproportionate to the size of his body, crazy! Are they venomous/dangerous to people?

You're at greater risk of getting pinched with a Hadogenes species...... They're VERY mellow scorpions

Alberta Bred Geckos
07-06-2008, 11:18 AM
Yea my H. paucidens are really mellow. Tempting to handle them....but only tempting lol I'm not nuts...yet...

Schmidty
07-06-2008, 09:23 PM
I too got sucked in by the Tarantulas Canada offer.
I got
2 Heterometrus xanthopus
2 Opistacanthus sp.Madagascar
2 Opistopthalmus sp.Tanzania
3 Iomachus politus
4 Vaejovis confusus

When I get my camera back I will post pictures.

GreenEyedHawk
07-07-2008, 09:23 AM
Yeah I'd rather not take a pinch from one of those guys, thanks....seems like a tail hit would hurt less.

Cody
07-07-2008, 09:40 AM
Yeah I'd rather not take a pinch from one of those guys, thanks....seems like a tail hit would hurt less.

Would you rather have something pinch you? Or something basicually jab a needle into you that might pump some venom into you, numbing the strike zone and giving it a dull throbbing pain?

I pick the pinch.

darkhelmet
07-07-2008, 10:50 AM
try getting pinched by a moon crab. oh man those guys are strong...

i got stung by an adult emperor and it hurt like a mother, but luckily it was a dry sting, so i had zero reaction, other than the initial pain

Michael
07-07-2008, 04:38 PM
Well, i would say I'm with GreenEyedHawk on this, i would rather take a sting than a pinch, from a Hadogenes sp. that is. I doubt that it would hurt all that much, even if it broke the skin. I'll try and get a shot of the telson, but it's not too intimidating. But, when these guys pinch, they have some power behind it (note: i have not been stung by them, but i have been pinched).

nox invictus profundum
07-07-2008, 05:12 PM
I've been tagged and/or pinched by pretty much every scorp except the Androctonus and the deathstalker....... The flat rock has surprising power in them claws. Not enough to draw blood though.... That's Emp country there. They have enough juice to shred wooden chopsticks with no problem.....