PDA

View Full Version : Feeding

leezard
06-10-2008, 06:21 AM
So I'm caring for "Jessicas"' scorpions while she's out of country, and while the one has eaten a couple of crickets, the other has not eaten. This is the one that I suspect could be a gravid female. Is there any way to tell if she's actually gravid? And do they eat less when they're gravid?

Ollie
06-10-2008, 08:22 AM
Pregnant scorpions will enlarge as you would suspect and sometimes you can see the young, in later stages of development, thru the side of the abdomen. Gestation can be many months depending on the species. I wouldn't worry if she doesn't eat for a couple of weeks or even longer. As long as the enclosure is warm and humid, she'll be ok. I'm assuming they are Emperor's. Are both scorpions together?

Ollie

leezard
06-10-2008, 11:30 AM
Both are emps, but are not together. They were sold together at the TARAS show and got along for the first few days, but according to Jess, the "big" one (is a female), was trying to kill the "small" one (who is male).

Alberta Bred Geckos
06-10-2008, 04:52 PM
Could have been the courting "dance". I'd have to agree with Ollie, should be ok if they are larger Scorps if they don't eat for a bit.

leezard
06-10-2008, 04:56 PM
Cool. Awsome. Thank you. So long as I don't kill them! :)

She says it wasn't a courting dance, from what she could tell. I didn't see it, personally, and have just kept them seperate. Just in case.

Alberta Bred Geckos
06-10-2008, 05:00 PM
Courting is kinda weird from what I've read, bacically the two scorps lock claws, the male will deposit his job on a flat rock surface, drags the female over it and she "scoops" up the job. Hard to explain, but if you kinda look at the underside of Scorps, you'll have a better idea/visualization.

jennayoung99
06-10-2008, 07:10 PM
oooh sexy!!!!! is "job" a technical term?

leezard
06-11-2008, 05:33 AM
Dumb question... what am i looking for on the underside? and at the front or back?