PDA

View Full Version : This ones for Ollie.

Cheller
06-06-2008, 07:45 PM
AHA!! I caught me a cricket!!
http://i301.photobucket.com/albums/nn73/godthe1/1.jpg

See mommy?! You want some cricket?
http://i301.photobucket.com/albums/nn73/godthe1/2.jpg

Um num num! Thisa yummy one.
http://i301.photobucket.com/albums/nn73/godthe1/3.jpg

AHH! OH NOSE MOMMY ITSA MY CRICKET!
http://i301.photobucket.com/albums/nn73/godthe1/4.jpg

He was just crawling around on my arms and hands and a loose cricket decided to join us...one less to bug me at night!! lol

First time for me posting pics hope it worked..
sorry for the docomentary as i was going along, thought it was halarious!!

thanks for the scorp Ollie both are doing great!!

Melanie
06-06-2008, 08:24 PM
Lol i love the captions! Thats one amazing lolscorp you got goin there, what kind of scorp is it?

Cheller
06-06-2008, 08:27 PM
Thank you very much!
My boyfriend got one.. we called ollie back the next morning because i wanted one for myself!

the florida bark is the common name
the actuall scientific name is centruroides gracilis

Melanie
06-06-2008, 08:32 PM
Well how could you not :)

I find myself more and more interested in scorps latly, gosh it's hard not to buy one. Whats their temperment like?

Cheller
06-06-2008, 08:37 PM
extremely calm if you get them as babies,
like this little guy stung me today because he was on my arm and a random cricket came so i tried to get him off and he got scared and territorial or w.e of his cricket lol
but hey i had to get in his container! lol
they are beautiful and i would suggest getting one

Cheller
06-06-2008, 08:37 PM
and it depends on the bredd..if they are called breeds? lol like a yellow devil it'll kill you...no problem
i would ask Ollie or even neil weldon about temperments and best species for you ;) good luck

Kioka
06-06-2008, 08:45 PM
They are not called breeds, but rather species.

Breeds are human-bred individual strains within a species like in a cat or dog. Reptile and amphibians have this as well -- called morphs. However invertebrates don't really have captive-selected colour or strains of characteristics. Now, I DO not recommend handling any venomous animals since venom or toxin is protein, and any kind of protein can trigger an allergic response in the body. Since that what allergen essentially is... a protein that been mismarked as an invasive bacteria, fungi or virus (which they ARE made of protein themselves.)

Even though they are not deadly or cause any harm, you are lucky (even if it an insignificant chance) that you are not allergic to this species' venom. Now that rant is over...

Anyway, nice series of pictures. Funny indeed. :D

Alberta Bred Geckos
06-06-2008, 08:45 PM
Well good news is your not allergic then Cheller, tho the tiny C. gracilis may not have been very successful at the sting.

I'd honestly suggest an Emperor Melanie. They're nothing fancy, but they are quite calm, and easily attainable as CB's. I think they handle captive care decent. As they get bigger, they get calmer. As well, not very toxic.

Cheller
06-06-2008, 08:47 PM
thank you Kioka for the correction :)
i wasnt too sure im not the scorpian person drew is lol

Cheller
06-06-2008, 08:48 PM
thanks clint!
it was more of a ahh get away from me! sting! run!
kind of thing lol i was just trying to get him off my arm and into the container so he could eat :P

Alberta Bred Geckos
06-06-2008, 08:52 PM
ah well, lesson learned. Use tweasers or tongs, and "shoo" it into a delicup. Much less risks of a sting. Tho myself, I don't think I'd like to try handle the smaller ones. They seem alot more prone to sting than larger scorps, and are much faster.

Cheller
06-06-2008, 08:54 PM
yeah ill remember that for next time . i love it mine isnt to jumpy are quick he usually just chills and this is the first time he stung me..had good reason too! :)

Alberta Bred Geckos
06-06-2008, 09:13 PM
Only takes one sting to have an allergic reaction tho. When I do attempt to handle mine, I will only do so with others around, just incase. Always better to err on the side of caution. :)

godthe1
06-06-2008, 09:15 PM
The little ones are more prone to sting, if you were that small what would u do right. ill just let her play with the red claw u sold me and we'll have no more of this holding scropian business

TJEATWORLD
06-06-2008, 09:18 PM
Not to be a downer but I wouldn't hold those little guys when they get larger. They are suppose to be a 4/5 on the venom scale. Just looking out for you bud! Enjoy the new scorps!

Cheller
06-06-2008, 09:18 PM
i would never play with that thing!
he growls... :)

godthe1
06-06-2008, 09:19 PM
Yeah please tell her that lol

Cheller
06-06-2008, 09:20 PM
but hunni you tell me that all the time... and is till dont listen

godthe1
06-06-2008, 09:22 PM
Get stung then when ur dieing call free whilly :)

Cheller
06-06-2008, 09:23 PM
oh yeah..
sweetie dont play with poisenous scorpians..instead go swimming with KILLER whales...:P
and if he would come a swimming id keep a calling.
smart..but :)

Melanie
06-06-2008, 10:29 PM
Lol I keep trying to stay in the general direction of crested breeding plans, but scorps are sooo tempting.

Cheller
06-06-2008, 10:30 PM
tell me about it :P

Kioka
06-06-2008, 10:32 PM
Eh, look at me. I got animals that I don't have a mate for; and the species I DO have a pair for are either the wrong bloodline, locality or just not worth breeding.

At least you're not into centipedes... good luck trying to breed THOSE without invoking cannibalism with no pregger result.

Cheller
06-06-2008, 10:33 PM
i would not be abel to.
those things creep the hell out of me.
congrats to the people that can handle them..they just weird me out...them...and gerbils..

Kioka
06-06-2008, 10:36 PM
Centipedes creep me out as well, and keep me up at night too; but I love keeping them for some reason. I HATE centipedes, yet I choose to keep one and will obtain more of.

Cheller
06-06-2008, 10:38 PM
i can look at them..but they come near me im freaking.
i can handle anything if there is a boundry like i can go to the petstore and be next to the gerbil cage.. but the day i pick one up...ill be dead..
or someone next to me can hold a centipeid..i might touch it. but hold it ...NOPE

Kioka
06-06-2008, 10:40 PM
Eh, centipedes are "more hand-off, look at only" pets. :p

Anyway... back to handlin' and mud-wrestlin' scorpions... reckon you guys want some bug fights!?

http://www.japanesebugfights.com/11.htm

OH OUCH! RIGHT IN THE EYE!

Alberta Bred Geckos
06-06-2008, 10:40 PM
i can look at them..but they come near me im freaking.
i can handle anything if there is a boundry like i can go to the petstore and be next to the gerbil cage.. but the day i pick one up...ill be dead..
or someone next to me can hold a centipeid..i might touch it. but hold it ...NOPE

Bet you said that about Scorpions :P

Cheller
06-06-2008, 10:43 PM
who me?
only those big creepy lookin ones.
like that mean old grump drew bought at the last show

Kioka
06-06-2008, 10:44 PM
The "OH OUCH! RIGHT IN THE EYE" part or the "look at only" pet? I think my Spotted Python (now Ian's) already did the first.

At least some scorpion species are CALM enough be handled... centipedes are just "run run run run." :p Although I am thinking you're referring to Cheller.

Ollie
06-07-2008, 10:08 PM
Thanks for the pic's Cheller. They sure are cute aren't they. Like TJ said though, they are pretty potent. At this size I doubt the aculeus (stinger) can penetrate your skin but be careful. I handled the mother once or twice when I first got her but I don't think I'll be doing it again soon.:eek:

If you two really like scorpions then you should buy a book called Scorpions (duh) by Manny Rubio, published by Barron's. It's a good informative book that helped me a lot. I met Manny last year and he's an interesting guy. Takes wonderful pictures.

Ollie

nox invictus profundum
06-08-2008, 04:36 AM
You really don't want to be stung by a gracilis..... My cousin Jimmy was stung in Florida over the winter, after he stepped on the beast. He spent three days in the hospital, his whole leg swelled up and he had chest pains. He likened the pain to somebody burning his foot with an iron, and that was after the morphine. Different people display varying tolerances to scorpion venom, so be really careful guys.... Especially those who got one of the baby Androctonus.

Cheller
06-08-2008, 03:18 PM
Ollie,
yeah ill deffinatly look into that, ive already done the book drew got about corn snakes! pretty useful stuff in these books, but im sure to read with descretion because some of these books are so out of date!
but ill look into the Scorpian one.
I would love to no more about them :) thanks for the advice.

nox invictous profundum,
yeah i just found out they are 4/5 on the venom scale when older,
he is usually really calm with me but if i were getting 'shooed' off...i would have bit me too! lol
**note to self...he may be cute...just let him be cute..behind a (hopefully) non penitratable...substance? cant seem to find the word im looking for so it will have to do :)

godthe1
06-08-2008, 03:44 PM
so if i wanna get rid of her for a few days let my gracilis at her..okay thanks guys :)

Cheller
06-08-2008, 03:46 PM
oh bug off :P butt head