PDA

View Full Version : Bugs on Bugs

draco
05-31-2008, 10:27 PM
I was just looking at my new millipedes, and I noticed that there where some little bugs on them. They dont look like mites. They look kinda like little spiders. What are they? Should i be worried?

nox invictus profundum
05-31-2008, 10:41 PM
I was just looking at my new millipedes, and I noticed that there where some little bugs on them. They dont look like mites. They look kinda like little spiders. What are they? Should i be worried?

The little bugs you're seeing are in fact mites, and are nothing to worry about. The mites are commensal, and not parasitic. They actually help the millipede by keeping the shell free of moulds, fungi, and small external parasites. These mites live their entire lives on the millipede and it is unlikely that they will leave the millipede willingly. I handle my millipedes often, and I have yet to have the mites crawl onto my hand. Quick little buggers they are!!

draco
05-31-2008, 10:48 PM
Oh good . Should I be worried at all about them transferring to any of my other reptiles?
And ya they move pretty fast. That is why I didnt get a good look at them!

nox invictus profundum
05-31-2008, 11:08 PM
Oh good . Should I be worried at all about them transferring to any of my other reptiles?
And ya they move pretty fast. That is why I didnt get a good look at them!

No, they wont bug your herps. They live, breed and die on the millipedes.

Interesting side story- My Vietnamese Giant centipede had a nasty case of mites, and I was able to take some good mites from my millipedes and put them on the centipede. It was a crazy idea, but it worked!! The centipede was able to knock a few of them off, but they were able to significantly reduce the number of harmful mites in a 24 hour period.

draco
05-31-2008, 11:27 PM
That is really cool. So since I am asking questions anyway. I am wondering if the millipedes have a fav food. I have given mine cucumber and apple, and carrots. They didnt eat the carrots and loved the cucumber. Any suggestions?

Cody
05-31-2008, 11:30 PM
That is really cool. So since I am asking questions anyway. I am wondering if the millipedes have a fav food. I have given mine cucumber and apple, and carrots. They didnt eat the carrots and loved the cucumber. Any suggestions?

I believe cucumber is the all time favourite of any millipede. Just try experimenting with damn near everything, its what I am doing with the M.innata, its rather fun finding out what they like and dont.

AbraxasComplex
05-31-2008, 11:35 PM
I believe cucumber is the all time favourite of any millipede. Just try experimenting with damn near everything, its what I am doing with the M.innata, its rather fun finding out what they like and dont.

So what did you find the M.innata like or don't like?

nox invictus profundum
06-01-2008, 05:59 AM

I had the same question..... So far the little buggers have eaten pretty much everything I've put in there, dead or alive. They're like little tiny garbage disposals!!

Cody
06-01-2008, 09:01 AM

Well so far I have thrown in(plus sign means they like it, minus sign means they dont).

Carrots+
Banana+
Crickets+
Kiwi-(they pulled this under their hide, but it is pretty much untouched)
Yellow pepper+
Mango+
lettuce-(a bit of munching but after that they didnt go back to it)
peach-(didnt touch this much either besides a few nibbles)
onion-(didnt touch this one bit)
Avocado+(they really really liked this stuff, mind you its grown in Chile so you would expect they might like that)

Maybe somebody elses like some of the stuff they dont, perhaps they have a bit of individual tastes. I still need to try stuff like cucumber and onions.

nox invictus profundum
06-01-2008, 09:15 AM
hmmmmm. bananas eh?? that's something I haven't tried yet. I think I have some mango here too. Have you tried squished grapes yet?? they love 'em;)

Cody
06-01-2008, 09:17 AM
hmmmmm. bananas eh?? that's something I haven't tried yet. I think I have some mango here too. Have you tried squished grapes yet?? they love 'em;)

Nope still have to pick some up, I am thinking of trying some orange today too. Might go buy some cherries and strawberries today, might aswell I bet with the cherries I could eat them and throw in the seeds(with bits of cherry still on).