PDA

View Full Version : Surprise Emperors

Schmidty
05-31-2008, 06:41 PM
Okay, so it's not a great shot, but it was the best I could come up with under the circumstances.

http://i293.photobucket.com/albums/mm63/reefguy321/Picture002.jpg

It looks like Ollie's scorps aren't the only ones reproducing.
This was one of the three Emperors that I got from Dave Avery at the show last weekend. She's been "in labour" for about a day. So far there are at least two babies. Depending on what happens and how many I get maybe I should have an Ollie style contest (If that's okay with him). I will keep everyone updated.

Jeff

whiskeygirl
05-31-2008, 07:04 PM
Ok seeing a baby just makes me want one ... you guys are slowly breaking me down lol.

Shot turned out pretty good IMO.

godthe1
05-31-2008, 07:05 PM
so what you thinking about doing with thoses babies huh huh

Alberta Bred Geckos
05-31-2008, 07:08 PM
Cool stuff! That's a great pic, reminds me of kids sitting on their parents foot clinging to the leg hahahaha! I think it's probably best to leave her alone for the most part tho if I recall.

Jessicas
05-31-2008, 09:19 PM
so cool, how long to they stay white?

nox invictus profundum
05-31-2008, 09:49 PM
so cool, how long to they stay white?

Usually they darken up lots after the first moult, roughly 7 to 12 days from birth. They ride mommas back for that period....

Congrats on the little ones Schmidty!!

leezard
06-01-2008, 08:10 AM
Another silly questions from the invert-ignorant...

HOw do you tell if they're preggers?

That must have been a nifty surprise!

Michael
06-01-2008, 08:21 AM
HOw do you tell if they're preggers?

When they give birth;):D

Joking aside, i believe it is fairly hard to tell if a scorp is pregnant, i believe you can sometimes see the babies forming if the female is really large but not always. Some indications could be the female not eating as much yet not losing any mass, if she is more defensive than usual (although, if she is pregnant when you get her you won't know what her "usual" is) especially towards other scorps (assuming they are being kept communally) and I'm sure there are other things but i know very little about scorps so that's all i got.

leezard
06-01-2008, 08:40 AM
Ok, and how do you tell male from female? Or is it just a size thing?

(Yes, Jes, I'm wondering if you'll have the same thing happen one day soon!)

Michael
06-01-2008, 08:51 AM

I believe counting the number of pectin teeth and looking space between the pectines is the best way to sex them. If i'm not mistaken, males generally have more pectine teeth and a larger gap? or did i mix that up... The number of teeth will vary from species to species and sometimes the number of teeth a female and male have of a certain species will over lap which makes it more difficult. but again, i'm still learning and someone else will have a more conclusive answer:)

nox invictus profundum
06-01-2008, 08:52 AM

Scorpions have reasonably good sexual dimorphism. There are two sructures on the sternites (on the bottom of the creature) called pectines, which resemble small combs. They are used to feel the surface they are travelling on. This link explains it pretty well:http://exoticpets.about.com/od/scorpions/f/sexingscorps.htm

there are more precise methods like counting the teeth on the "comb" of the pectines, but they vary widely in size and shape from species to species. A good rule of thumb (but not super duper accurate) is that males have larger pectines that are more perpendicular to the length of the creature. Females tend to have smaller and more angular pectines, and this difference is very noticeable on Pandinus, Androctonus and a number of other Genera....

leezard
06-01-2008, 09:06 AM
Ooooh. I've never seen an underside picture before. That's cool, actually. Thank you for answering all of my silly questions.

nox invictus profundum
06-01-2008, 09:11 AM
Those aren't silly questions, anybody curious enough to ask deserves an answer :)

Say Schmidty - any more babies yet???

Michael
06-01-2008, 09:11 AM
they're not silly questions, you have to start somewhere:)

leezard
06-01-2008, 09:21 AM
you have to start somewhere:)

Start with what? I'm not starting anything. Why would I want to know this stuff? It's silly. I don't want any inverts. Nope. None. really.

;)

(Although.... if you could keep posting pictures.... it's really neat to see. I love seeing the babies on mum like that.)

Jessicas
06-02-2008, 08:58 AM
[QUOTE]I'm not starting anything. Why would I want to know this stuff? It's silly. I don't want any inverts. Nope. None. really.[QUOTE]

this comming from the girl who wanted one of mine. thats funny

Jessicas
06-02-2008, 09:24 AM

i hope not what am i suppose to do with them? although... it would be realy cool. if it happens while i am in ireland i want pictures!!!

Schmidty
06-02-2008, 09:54 AM
Unfortunately, the first two babies died when the other scorps somehow managed to cross the divider, she is still giving birth however, so there should be more.