PDA

View Full Version : invert sadness/shenanigans

darkhelmet
05-30-2008, 11:06 AM
a couple things

my P. Ornata escaped!! it took me an hour, but i found the little thing. he somehow got out of his little critter keeper and into the critter keeper with my emperor scorpion. he is now back in his pill bottle!

my G. Aureostriata got messed up by the cricket :( the cricket i put in was kind of big, but he did eat one of basically the same size on saturday so i figured he'd have no problem. well today i woke up and checked on everybody to make sure they ate, or if they didn't, remove the cricket. this little guy didn't, and he is missing 7 legs! both his pedipalps are present, his front left leg, and small parts of two of his right legs.

what do i do! i know they can grow them back, but man, 7 legs is a lot to be missing, especially since they need to molt to grow them back, they need to grow to molt, and they need to eat to grow, and with only 1 leg it's hard to catch crickets...

i fail... :(

leezard
05-30-2008, 11:09 AM
Glad to hear you found your ornata, but holy jeepers about the other one! I'm not the best person for info (the best I can offer is to make him 7 artificial limbs.....), but I wish you all the luck with him.

Neil
05-30-2008, 11:24 AM
I've got a few G. Aureostriata's here, If your's dies I'll give you one of mine.I don't use critter keepers till the bugs get bigger,there are too many places they can squeeze through.

DiggertheRed
05-30-2008, 11:27 AM
this may sound crude or cruel, but make it a more even fight, remove the crickets legs too, and put it near, so the poor guy dosn't have to hobble too far.

Neil
05-30-2008, 11:29 AM
T's will often eat pe-killed crickets I'd give that a try.

Cody
05-30-2008, 11:30 AM
I've got a few G. Aureostriata's here, If your's dies I'll give you one of mine.I don't use critter keepers till the bugs get bigger,there are too many places they can squeeze through.

Yeah, I throw the pill bottles in critter keepers, so if they make it out of the pill bottle, they sometimes wont make it out of the other container(works on the bigger ones).

My only escapee that made it more than a foot or two away from me is my C.cyaneopubescens...mean little sucker.

I think chances are your little G.aureostriata will be a goner, as for feeding if it doesnt manage to live...the most I could think of is to put a prekilled cricket right up to its mouth or something.

darkhelmet
05-30-2008, 11:33 AM
i will try the prekilled cricket tonight then maybe...

animalover
05-30-2008, 11:35 AM
o Man! That is a lot of legs missing! As suggested I would try putting pre killed up to him with tweezers for a while and see if you can nurse him through. Good luck hope it all works out for you.

Mikey
05-30-2008, 12:15 PM
I have a G. Aureostriata as well just a tiny little guy I got from Neil W. I have been feeding him prekilled as most of the crickets are way too big for him. loosing critters sucks, sorry to hear about it!Mikey.

Ollie
05-30-2008, 12:42 PM
Daniel,

Just keep putting fresh killed crickets near him so that he can feed and he should be ok after a couple of molts. Luckily, since he is just small, he should molt about every 30 to 45 days.
I'm surprised the cricket was able to do this much damge to him without him running away. Maybe he had started a molt. If that's the case, I fear for the T's survival.

Ollie

Alberta Bred Geckos
05-30-2008, 04:18 PM
Wow sorry to hear the bum luck there Daniel.

darkhelmet
05-30-2008, 11:24 PM
yeah i came home from Indiana Jones with Denise, and the little guy is gone :( sad panda...