PDA

View Full Version : emperor scorpion colony

darkhelmet
05-19-2008, 08:28 PM
so i'm thinking about making an emperor colony

how much floor space per spider? or just make sure they have lots of hiding spaces?

basically i'm thinking about buying 2-4 from JimD at the show, and adding my other one i got recently, all would be about the same size. i want to put them in a rubbermaid, one of the underbed type ones, about 3 feet by 1.5-2 feet. is that enough space for that many? should i just buy 2?

ideas? opinions?

Alberta Bred Geckos
05-19-2008, 08:37 PM
Emperor scorpion? Did you mean? lol

You could probably house 3 or 4 in that I'm betting. No guarantees tho they will not cannibalize eachother. I'd make sure there are lots and lots of cork bark hides, and a few water dishes.

Like I was saying, 4"-6" of cocofibre would be good as well so they can make their own burrows.

Michael
05-19-2008, 08:59 PM
ABG hit the nail on the head, the only thing i want to add is that you can probably house 4 in there quite comfortably and could probably fit a couple more in there, that's quite a lot of room considering inverts usually don't venture too far from their burrow. while i have never kept emperors before, from what i have heard they are quite tolerant of each other and some will live in the same burrow together. You may see the odd fight or injury but as for actual cannibalism, i don't think it's very common among these if they are well fed.

I did keep 4 H. spinifer's together at one point but split them up because i thought i had some cannibalism happening, but i did not. in fact, the parts i found around the cage were from a molt and i found the freshly molted scorp in the burrow and the other 3 actually seemed to be trying to protect it from me, but i still separated them since i had already dug them up and destroyed their burrow:o

Good luck!

Cody
05-19-2008, 10:15 PM
I am fairly sure as long as their is enough food, and enough hides and there isnt a big size difference between them, they get along just fine.

When I had mine the most it would venture is about 6 inches from one hide to the other(would change hides everytime I bugged it).

Are you planning on trying the pebbles in the bottom of the tank for humidity? If I ever got another emperor or something like the H.spinifer I would give that a shot.

darkhelmet
05-19-2008, 10:57 PM
pebbles in bottom? like just fill the bottom with pebbles and then keep a water level or something?

i was planning on just a bunch of dirt, and cork bark, or anything else that would work/look cool for hides.

Alberta Bred Geckos
05-19-2008, 11:03 PM
Some people use a layer of gravel of sorts, then a layer of cocofibre or something likes. This gives you the option of pouring water in without over saturating the cocofibre ect and having a drainage area, which helps to keep up the humidity.

Cody
05-19-2008, 11:12 PM
Some people use a layer of gravel of sorts, then a layer of cocofibre or something likes. This gives you the option of pouring water in without over saturating the cocofibre ect and having a drainage area, which helps to keep up the humidity.

Like he said, there are quite a few guides on how to do it online. I have heard its reccomended to make the pebbles big enough so they cant move them around when digging. Something like an inch big was reccomended to me. Some people use it, some dont, Emperor scorps like it fairly damp though, but they are quite hardy so can handle lots of conditions.

nox invictus profundum
05-20-2008, 05:37 AM
I line the bottom of my emps' tank with flat pieces of slate. Same idea, and the scorps cant move it. darkhelmet,with the size of tub you're putting them in you could have 10 of the buggers!! Just make sure there's always a couple crickets in the tub, so you don't have your collection cannibalizing eachother. I myself have not yet had an instance of this among my communists.

Apryl
05-20-2008, 06:59 AM
I myself have not yet had an instance of this among my communists.

Pol pot. Lenin. Stalin. Fidel. What are the other one's names? ; )

Alberta Bred Geckos
05-20-2008, 08:47 AM
I line the bottom of my emps' tank with flat pieces of slate. Same idea, and the scorps cant move it. darkhelmet,with the size of tub you're putting them in you could have 10 of the buggers!! Just make sure there's always a couple crickets in the tub, so you don't have your collection cannibalizing eachother. I myself have not yet had an instance of this among my communists.

Ah so you place a piece of slate over the gravel then? Good idea. I'll have to remember that idea for sure :)

nox invictus profundum
05-20-2008, 07:27 PM
Pol pot. Lenin. Stalin. Fidel. What are the other one's names? ; ) ROFL!! I actually meant communals...... I actually named mine after vicious star trek aliens in true nerdcore fashion.

DiggertheRed
05-20-2008, 07:52 PM
hmph I gave my scorpions great philosopher names ... who's the bigger geek :P