PDA

View Full Version : X.intermedia

Neil
05-02-2008, 07:15 PM
My Blue Bloom Bird Eater molted tonight and I actually got to see it.
http://i120.photobucket.com/albums/o191/snakeneil/004-17.jpg

leezard
05-02-2008, 07:15 PM
Just.... wow..... so many legs......

Melanie
05-02-2008, 07:20 PM
Lol it's almost like one of those tricky illusion pics. Sweet shot!

Cody
05-02-2008, 07:22 PM
It really is an amazing thing to see, I got to see my B.albopilosum and B.smithi molt. I find the difference in their moltings is rather interesting, the curly hairs was like a very brittle paper(it nearly doubled in size) it also flew out of my hands when I breathed within a foot of it. Whereas the red knee's molt seemed to be a bit thicker, still light but not as much as the curly hairs.

Ollie
05-02-2008, 08:11 PM
Save that exuvium and we'll see if you got a boy or girl.

Neil
05-02-2008, 09:58 PM
My X.immanis just molted too and from the molt it looks like a male.:mad:
I'm going to go look at this one right away.

Just had a look,unfortunately it was ripped in half right though the epigastric furrow.Maybe next time.

leezard
05-03-2008, 05:25 AM
Educate me, please. How do you sex a tarantula with the molt?

Ollie
05-03-2008, 07:31 AM
Educate me, please. How do you sex a tarantula with the molt?

Between the forward set of book lungs is a line called the epigastric furrow. This is where the male deposits the sperm into a female and where the sperm is extruded in a male. Both sexes have this furrow but when you look at the furrow from the inside, which you can do if you have a well preserved exuvium, you will find a flap or leaf like structure in the female. This is where the sperm is deposited. This structure does not occur in the male. By using magnification and sometimes a microscope, the sex of a tarantula can be determined at an early age. Sometimes.

Here's a link to a thread that explains this all in much more detail and with pictures too!

http://www.atshq.org/forum/showthread.php?t=14319

The shape of this leaf like structure and its accompanying spermathecae and the shape of the males emboli are two of the major features that determine the species of any particular tarantula. The males emboli have to be just the right shape to be able to deposit the sperm into the female.

Ollie

Neil
05-03-2008, 12:17 PM
With so many little ones in the house it seems like one of them is always molting.Both ay A.avics just molted with in the last few weeks,I've got to take my bigger one out and sex it .

Alberta Bred Geckos
05-03-2008, 04:36 PM
Cool Neil, must be neat to watch for sure :)

jennayoung99
05-03-2008, 11:47 PM
thanks for the lesson ollie i just got a little smarter

leezard
05-04-2008, 05:46 AM
Thanks for the lesson! I might actually know more than nothing about inverts, now.