PDA

View Full Version : injured t. ripping off a leg?!

Spidermat
04-27-2008, 02:12 AM
hey all this is more a question for ollie i guess.... have you ever had to break a leg off a tarantula? my seemanii recently injured herself between the patella and tibia joints.... i monitored her for several days and she would not move her leg and if she did it continued to leak. after consulting stan's tarantula bible i decided it would be wise to break off the leg. I broke it off at the trochanter and she seems to be doing well now. have you ever had to do this? and also do you think it's worth the risk of letting it die in a molt? i feel kinda bad but at the same time i think it's better than letting her risk a molt where she does not make it. any thoughts???

huggorm
04-27-2008, 08:22 AM
If you dont rip it off the tarantula most likely will (and consume it after) if the leg is not fully functional.

Tarantula Canada
04-27-2008, 11:21 AM
If you dont rip it off the tarantula most likely will (and consume it after) if the leg is not fully functional.

I agree... normally the tarantula will drop the leg on its own. I usually let nature take its course rather than stress the animal trying to force the leg off.

GONESNAKEE!
04-27-2008, 08:15 PM
They will grow it back within a molt or 2 anyway will they not? THX Mark

huggorm
04-28-2008, 09:12 AM
They will grow it back within a molt or 2 anyway will they not? THX Mark

The leg will regenerate in the next molt, after the first molt its a fully functional leg but usually thinner then the other. It will become thicker in each following molt.

Spidermat
04-28-2008, 07:23 PM
thanks guys... i've never dealt with an injured T yet.. it sucks lol but i made the decision based on the fact that it was still leaking after a week whenever she moved it. she seems to be doing well now i just hope i never have to do that again.

AbraxasComplex
04-28-2008, 09:38 PM
I had to do such a procedure with an injured rose hair (was found in a Calgary Transit locker). She wouldn't stop leaking and to top it off she was close to death and probably wouldn't survive to the next molt. I took the risk, cooled her down, and popped off the leg. She was one of my most healthy and robust rescue rose hairs I ever had before I gave her to a friend. Her leg was nearly completely regenerated by that time.