PDA

View Full Version : C. gracilis molt

Ollie
04-22-2008, 08:05 PM
The first one of my little C. gracilis molted today so all of you who picked one up from me should be on your toes. I noticed that most of the crickets I fed the little guys last night are still there so the rest must be ready to molt as well.

Ollie

Alberta Bred Geckos
04-22-2008, 09:30 PM
Cool stuff :) I'll keep my eyes peeled...*wanders off to check*

Oh I know its a stupid Q, but the term "instar" refers to molts, correct?

Kioka
04-22-2008, 09:37 PM
Instar to the developmental stage they are in...

Alberta Bred Geckos
04-22-2008, 09:39 PM
So how do you tell which instar they are in? Is there a writeup anyone knows of that goes into details?

Kioka
04-22-2008, 09:50 PM
By how many molts they had usually. :D

Alberta Bred Geckos
04-22-2008, 09:52 PM
Very funny :P I mean if you get a Scorpion, lets say you have no idea what instar it is on, any way to check (specific instar info for scorps?) like for instance a WC?

Ollie
04-23-2008, 05:36 AM
I don't think that there is any way to confirm what instatr they are if someone hasn't been keeping track.

rhtreid
04-23-2008, 05:53 AM
well that explains why the other one fed and this one didn't - that is one lucky cricket

Alberta Bred Geckos
04-29-2008, 11:22 PM
Just found one of my C.gracilis molts Ollie :) I'm gona leave it be (don't want to bug the scorp) but I'm gonna try get a pic as it nicely left it sitting perfectly on the cork bark :D Cool stuff!

I had to look at it closely as it was nice and white to make sure it wasn't the scorp LOL

Neil
04-30-2008, 12:20 AM
My 'lil guy molted a few days ago.

xochi quetzel
04-30-2008, 09:33 PM
mine just molted ! Super cool !

Alberta Bred Geckos
05-03-2008, 10:22 PM
I finally took a pics of the moult...
http://www.albertabredgeckos.com/Pictures/Centruroides_gracilis_1_V3_Molt_1_V1.jpg

Blacklight (I love the new flashlight!)
http://www.albertabredgeckos.com/Pictures/Centruroides_gracilis_1_V3_Molt_1_V2_Blacklight.jp g

I also found another moult, haven't checked the other 3 yet tho :) I found it interesting the moults stay flourescent even after shed. I'm going to keep a bunch and see if they no longer glow over time.

Ollie
05-05-2008, 10:23 AM
Clint,

You'll find that the molt flouresces initially and slowly fades over the next few days. The scorp itself flouresces very little immediately after a molt but then gets increasingly brighter over the next few days. I've wondered whether this was protective method they use to distract predators from the vulnerable scorpling. Of course the predator would have to be able to see in the UV wavelength. Maybe I should spell predator with a capital letter. Can anyone say alien. Oops, got a little off track there.:D