PDA

View Full Version : Holothele sp question

Neil
04-21-2008, 03:51 PM
I'm wondering if other Holothele species are communal like the H.incei are.I'm thinking of doing a communal tank with the "Norte De Santanders" but I'm not sure if they will live together,a friend said they do but I 'd like another opinion.

Michael
04-21-2008, 04:10 PM
My uneducated guess would be yes, they will live together but i would wait for some who has experience with them to chime in.

Ollie
04-21-2008, 06:35 PM
Neil,
I would guess that you should be able to keep them communally. I think they are fairly new to the hobby and maybe no one has tried before. You could be cutting edge!

Ollie

Neil
04-21-2008, 07:16 PM
I'm hoping Amanda from Tar Can will poke her head in here and enlighten us...( and give me a real good deal on a herd of NDS's) I could do it with a bunch of incei's but I just gotta be different,besides the NDS's are cooler looking.

Cody
04-21-2008, 07:47 PM
That would be pretty cool, you just might have to drive down to Montreal to gather that herd, you know how much they love travel :rolleyes:

Is the Norte De Santanders habits basicually the same as H.incei? Anyone know if their webbing is roughly the same as an H.incei? Would be cool to see what they can do in a large tank.

Neil
04-21-2008, 08:20 PM
I've done a couple searches on them but I can't find any thing that says much about them,they don't appear to be very common .

AbraxasComplex
04-21-2008, 09:16 PM
I'm trying as we speak... I only have about 10 together in a 30 gallon. I had two spiderlings in a 5 temporarily. Sadly one consumed the other. So far the 30 gallon group is doing ok, but they seem to not make the intense web tunnels like the incei (or atleast not at this stage).

Tarantula Canada
04-23-2008, 04:26 AM
Ok, I'm poking my head in;)

We tried a small group of Holothele sp. Norte de Santander (NDS) communally, but the results were less successful than with Holothele incei. We lost around 40% of the spiderlings to cannibalism before we split up the group. The Holothele sp. NDS are not big webbers like the H. incei: they web minimally around their burrows, but that is all.

Neil
04-23-2008, 10:12 AM
Mmm, well it seemed like a good idea.:rolleyes:A friend of mine said that since they are both Holothele species they would be able to live together.I didn't think that was necessarily the case so I thought I'd ask someone with experience with that species.Thanks Amanda.:)

huggorm
04-23-2008, 11:40 AM
Mmm, well it seemed like a good idea.:rolleyes:A friend of mine said that since they are both Holothele species they would be able to live together.I didn't think that was necessarily the case so I thought I'd ask someone with experience with that species.Thanks Amanda.:)

Maybe it would work in a 20x20 meter terrarium ;)

Neil
04-23-2008, 01:20 PM
Maybe it would work in a 20x20 meter terrarium ;)
Hey yea,I'll run that one by the wife and see if she's good with it.. We can always sleep in the garage.

Tarantula Canada
04-23-2008, 01:23 PM
Just because two species are in the same genus does not necessarily mean the behaviors of the species are the exactly the same. Besides, I heard through the grapevine that there is going to be a major revision of the genus Holothele, so there is a chance that some species may be reclassified.

Neil
04-23-2008, 02:22 PM
Just because two species are in the same genus does not necessarily mean the behaviors of the species are the exactly the same.
That's how I looked at it too.I know way more about snakes than I do inverts but to me it's like the python family for example. Burmese pythons(P.molurus bivittatus ) are in the same famly as ball pythons (P.regius)but besides the obvious size diffrence they have very diffrent husbandry need's.

AbraxasComplex
04-23-2008, 09:06 PM
Yah, I can never find where mine are housed, their burrows are hidden so well. The largest is close to 1.5'' the rest are 1''. The most I see out at a time are 2 or 3.

I throw about 100 crickets each week, all of them get consumed. So I know they are still alive and kicking.

But I will keep you posted as they grow.

Michael
04-23-2008, 09:38 PM
I don't mean to question how you keep your animals, if it works, it works, but isn't 100 crickets a week for 10 T's a bit...excessive? or are you power feeding for a specific reason such as to make them grow faster? just curious.

Alberta Bred Geckos
04-23-2008, 09:39 PM
Smaller crickets maybe???

AbraxasComplex
04-23-2008, 10:01 PM
10, 2wk crickets per tarantula. A little more than normal, but it is a heavily planted vivarium with many hiding spots. More crickets means more chances for the tarantulas who are not actively hunting to catch some prey, it also curbs cannabilism.

AbraxasComplex
04-23-2008, 10:08 PM
I also noticed that feeding the same amount in a pill bottle verses feeding the same in a vivarium resulted with larger more vibrant animals in the vivarium (imagine that)