PDA

View Full Version : Molting Sideways?

BioPhiliac
04-19-2008, 03:24 PM
I know tarantulas usually molt upside down, and sometimes right side up, but how about lying on their sides?

GONESNAKEE!
04-19-2008, 03:33 PM
Are the legs curled up, its a bad sign if they are. If they are on their backs looking "dead" they are usually OK but when rightside up with their legs curled underneath is not good usually. Hopefully its OK & still trying to molt. Mark

BioPhiliac
04-19-2008, 03:39 PM
She's definitely alive, and the legs are not curled under whatsoever...

GONESNAKEE!
04-19-2008, 03:46 PM
Maybe help by flipping it on its back? I'm not much help then, Mark

Alberta Bred Geckos
04-19-2008, 04:49 PM
Weird. Pics would be neat nonetheless. hope she's ok tho!

Ollie
04-19-2008, 05:00 PM
If she's started to molt then better let her be. They are very soft and if you mess with her she'll get hurt. When they molt they usually flip over on their back and then molt. Sometimes it can take quite a while before they actually start molting where you can see anything. I'm sure there's lots of stuff going on inside though. I have had them molt upright and on their sides and everything turned out ok.
Have patience since there's nothing much you can do anyway.

Ollie

BioPhiliac
04-19-2008, 06:19 PM
No ugly surprises, she was indeed molting.
I missed the whole act as I had left the house.

I've gotten the exo out however... definite female.

Mikey
04-19-2008, 06:52 PM
I got to watch my p. metallica molt, she did it on her side as well. it was pretty cool! always a blast when the babies are growing up.

Mikey.

Tarantula Canada
04-20-2008, 10:31 AM
Most tarantulas molt on their backs, but I have seen tarantulas molting in all possitions: on the side, up-side-down, right-side-up, in the water dish, hanging from the web, etc. There seems to be less risk of a bad molt (lost legs, etc) when the tarantula molts on its back, but even in odd possitions they usually do alright.

Kings_and_Corns
04-20-2008, 08:16 PM
Even though spiders sorta give me the willies (lets just say I respect them after an encounter with one, lol) I think it would be neat to see one molt... Does anyone have a video of it happening or a link to one? Or does it take a long time?
Eg. a snake when it sheds goes cloudy about a week before it happens, then clears up for a couple days and then once actually starts the shed only takes a few minutes. Is it the same sort of process for a Tarantula or ... ?

Steve

Ollie
04-20-2008, 09:17 PM
The molting of a taranula takes quite a while; usually several hours from start to finish. To get a good overall impression you would need to find a time lapse video and I'm not sure where you would find that.
Prior to a molt most tarantulas become sedentary, refuse food and their abdomen will turn dark as the new exoskeletion and hairs etc form underneath the existing exo. These changes in behavior will become evident days or even weeks prior to the molt. The younger the T, the less noticeable are the preparatory changes in behavior and the quicker the molt.

Ollie