PDA

View Full Version : Spider plauge?

Mikey
04-18-2008, 07:35 PM
I seem to have a problem! I was downstairs feeding my T's and Scorps and I noticed the top of one of the containers was real dusty looking I picked it up and wiped it with my finger. Well, it was then I noticed they were all moving! little tiny, tiny, white critters about the size of dust. when I started looking more, they are all over the table I keep my inverts on, inside & outside their tanks. including in and outside my cricket containers as well. I mean seriously there is a massive swarm of thousands of these things. if I had to estimate I would have to say there was approximately 50 per square inch where they are concentrated most at the tops of the containers. does anyone have a guess at what I'm dealing with here, I realize it's a lot to ask on a vague description but this is a little unsettling. I used some warm soapy water to wipe stuff down but 5 minutes later there is still hundreds of these things.

Anybody?

Cody
04-18-2008, 07:49 PM
Could they possibly be something like newborn mites?

To kill most anything probably a water/bleach solution would do the trick, dont quote me on that though. Could give it a try on the table and see if it does the trick.

Alberta Bred Geckos
04-18-2008, 07:50 PM
I think I saw something on arachnoboards on something similar. http://www.arachnoboards.com/ab/showthread.php?t=121969

Alberta Bred Geckos
04-18-2008, 07:52 PM
See above post Mikey

Cody
04-18-2008, 07:59 PM
If its mites I have also heard let the enclosure get as dry as you can, as that supposedly kills them off.

Puritania
04-18-2008, 08:26 PM
Sounds alot like Wood Mites, but can't be 100% sure on description. Wood mites are just little tiny white bugs, sounds alot like what you have, I find them in some bins that are more humid that others, very harmless though. Do a google search on wood mites, or if you're on RC, do a search there. Seems to be a popular topic over on RC.

Good luck!

Ollie
04-18-2008, 08:27 PM
Don't know what it would be if it isn't mites. I think I would rehouse all the critters into new set-ups with dry substrate for now and thoughly clean everything you think has mites on it. Monitor the new set-ups and see what happens over the next few days. Put a water dish in with each scorp or T and keep the substrate dry. Don't think it will hurt them for a few days. Like Cody suggested, mites won't like the dry conditions and soon die.
If you need some extra containers to rehouse with let me know and I can lend you some.

Ollie

The other option you have is to buy some predatory mites and introduce them. They will feed on the bad mites until they are all gone then die off themselves due to lack of food.

joeysgreen
04-18-2008, 09:40 PM
Did you go to the mite talk by UAherps? Millions of different types of mites, only a few that are a problem. For predatory mites, even those little red velvet mites you find outside in the garden would probably work.

Neil
04-18-2008, 10:03 PM
One of the first meal worm colony's we had developed something that sounds similar.It was like a living white dust that would move,very creepy! We were feeding them too much moist veggies.We dumped the whole works and started over ,keeping the humidity down and have never had a problem again.Harmless or not it wasn't something we wanted in our house!

Mikey
04-19-2008, 09:19 AM
Thanks for all the quick input peoples I really do appreciate the support. I wiped every thing down last night like 6 times trying to get as many off as I could off of the outside of everything. I did notice that the great majority was centralized around the crickets and thier stuff! (gel, food, so they went outside right off the bat!) I checked again this morning and there are very few on the outsides of the containers, and the few on the insides don't seem to be on the spiders or scorps themselves. Regardless, I will be rehousing everything today! anyone want to come over and rehouse a particularly fast & defensive Usambara orange baboon for me? Lol! seriously though, has anyone tried the bathtub method for tranfering T's? Is it true like a regular house spider, that they can't climb the sides?

One of the first meal worm colony's we had developed something that sounds similar.It was like a living white dust that would move,very creepy!

Ya! Thats it, thats exactly what it was like! Creeeppyy! I had a shower last night after this ordeal and another this morning and I still have the crawling skin feeling!

Thanks again all, Mikey.

Michael
04-19-2008, 10:00 AM
they can and will climb out of the bathtub but it is still the best place to do it because it is large and it is easy to see the spider in the tub. last time i rehoused my OBT, I just used a long paint brush to get it out of its web, when it was out it bolted out of its enclosure, and up the side of the tub in about 1 second flat! the most important thing to do is not panic when dealing with these or you could hurt the tarantula, just stay calm and remember they only run in short bursts so if it takes off, it will stop shortly, they can just cover a lot of distance in a short time! just remember to cover all the holes in and around the tub. Good luck!

Ollie
04-19-2008, 11:17 AM
Mikey,

I can come over and help you with the transfer of your OBT if you want.

Ollie

TrogMan
04-19-2008, 11:10 PM
I had the same problem with a meleworm culture a few years ago... stupidly, I thought it was an overabundance of meleworm larvae at first, so I was excited... then I figured out what it was. I still get them in all my cultures if I'm not careful to keep the moist food sources down to a minimum.

Best of luck.