PDA

View Full Version : Can you overfeed a spider?

joeysgreen
10-01-2007, 03:34 PM
I've been shooting pinhead crix's through a straw into my girl's web like crazy and she's been eating them all. Her web is looking kind of ragg'd but she'll fix it over night :)

Ian

Michael
10-01-2007, 04:50 PM
well, spiders will not eat themselves to death like some things will (i think some fish do right??) but yes, you can over feed a spider. if the spiders abdomen gets too large for it too lift off the ground when it walks, it will develope sores on the bottom of the abdomen which can cause problems when it molts. i feed my slings 1 cricket every 3 or 4 days which is more than enough and my juvies and adults get an appropriate amount of crickets (depending on size of spider) whenever they look hungry, usually once or twice every two weeks. you just have to look at the size of the abdomen, if it looks quite large, the spider doesn't need to be fed, if it looks a bit on the small side, feed it.

Kioka
10-01-2007, 04:59 PM
I've been shooting pinhead crix's through a straw into my girl's web like crazy and she's been eating them all. Her web is looking kind of ragg'd but she'll fix it over night :)

Ian

:eek: Getting high off of crix? Just kidding though. I find spiders don't eat more than they need, however having too much meal running around can be stressful for them.

joeysgreen
10-01-2007, 09:52 PM
Well, it's an orb weaving spider - I think jewel spider; it's a local species. It don't go on the ground, nor does the prey. His web is anchored to the lid, so I can only open it a crack. To feed him I have to stick a pinhead cricket into a straw, and then blowgun it into the web. Doing this, the spider has had three large meals in the last 2 days. Yes, the abdomen looks big but she's got no problems dancing around her web. Since you recommend every few weeks, I'll at least slow down a wee bit. She is just a tiny spider, only a fraction of her adult size.

Ian

Michael
10-02-2007, 04:24 PM
while i'm not as familiar with true spiders, think most web spinning true spiders like orbweavers would be fine even if you threw a cricket a day in there. if it were in the wild, it would always be catching flies and moths in its web which it will either eat or discard in a little bolous. Not that that's a great idea or anything but it won't harm it in any way, it will just cause it more of an annoyance than anything. i thought we were talking about some kind of arboreal tarantula or something.

Out of curiosity, is it a nice tan color? and what is the rough legpan of it? i have a few around my house (one that was pushing a 2" legspan!) that i will sometimes throw a cricket into its web if there is nothing in it but i have never actually tried keeping one, how do you have it set up? i might try catching one and keeping it through the winter.

joeysgreen
10-02-2007, 11:18 PM
Yes, it's kind of tan or yellow, with more orange highlights and legs. Right now it's leg span is probably still smaller than a dime. The adults of this species do indeed get large, where a 2" leg span is not out of the question. I was bit by one when I was a kid, and except for feeling the fangs sticking in, there was no ill effects. Apparently there is a local myth that they have a bad bite. This guy is set up in a natural vivarium that I"ve had set up for several years waiting for some snakes which are still yet to come. His web's are amazing. It's been kinda cold for them lately, I was lucky to find one in a construction site I was working at.

Ian

GreenEyedHawk
10-03-2007, 10:33 AM
Cany ou post pics?

duh duh duh
10-03-2007, 12:40 PM
I can open a spider exhibit in my basement. I have Jewel Spiders galore, several different Dandy Long Leg type things, Wolf Spiders, and a bunch more that I haven't identified yet.

The Jewel's are neat looking things though. I hope you can post some photos.

joeysgreen
10-04-2007, 01:15 AM
lol, I'm still waiting to get a camera. McBain hasn't gotten one that suites me yet. Speaking of wolf spiders, I was downstairs with a flashlight last night (best way to observe the nocturnals) and this *****'n wolf ran across the floor. It easily would have covered a loony.

Ian

GreenEyedHawk
10-04-2007, 10:43 AM
I didn't think we had wolf spiders here? Or maybe I'm thinking of something else.

bean
10-04-2007, 11:29 AM
wolf spiders are native to the west cost...I would know I lived there and delt with them on a daily basis... (Now I am actually totally terrified of spiders so it wasn't fun for me) I have seen big spiders here, but nothing that compares to the west cost wolf spider.. those things are easy the biggest spiders I've seen running around!

Yeroptok
10-04-2007, 12:32 PM
The big fast ones that we find in our basements is most likely the European House Spider. I have done some research and I believe this is the species that most Edmontonians have in their basements and can get as big as a loonie.

joeysgreen
10-04-2007, 10:04 PM
There are definately wolf spiders in Alberta. Different than the biggies out west, but there are literally thousands of species across Canada.
Here's one I found out at the Wagner Bog.

http://i59.photobucket.com/albums/g315/joeysgreen/Wagner%20bog/WagnerBogJuly4th06007.jpg

Ian

GreenEyedHawk
10-04-2007, 11:28 PM
Oh, those are the ones I keep finding on my ceiling! I live in a basement suite and i frequently find ones that look very similar on my ceiling especially in the bathroom. Do they like humidity? Maybe that's why I keep finding them in there as I take super hot showers and often turn my bathroom into a sauna...

Yeroptok
10-04-2007, 11:39 PM
Those aren't the ones we have, I don't doubt we have species of wolf spiders in the Edmonton area I just know that the more common spider in the edmonton area is the European house spider. I found this out through the royal alberta museum website, as well as observation of the spiders in our apartment.

http://www.royalalbertamuseum.ca/natural/insects/bugsfaq/hsspider.htm

joeysgreen
10-05-2007, 08:47 AM
Oh for sure there is the European house spider and I agree that's probably what we're finding in the basements. I tend to call them wolf's out of habit because they are so similiar, but I don't know there actual family ties. For all I know, they are indeed wolfs(?). But remember, we're talking bugs here. There are millions upon millions, and if you sifted through your backyard you'd find a bunch of everything... including wolf spiders :)

Ian

Yeroptok
10-05-2007, 10:08 AM
The house spiders are actually closely related to hobo spiders, and through some reading they are actually a good spider to have because large colonies of European house spiders will generally keep species of hobo spiders out of your home(not a concern in Edmonton as hobo spiders are generally not found this far north but down south it's pretty cool).

The only reason I don't like European house spiders is that I have to shake out my towels before I use them. When I was 8 or 10 there was one in my towel after a shower, so that wasn't fun, for either me or the spider.

bean
10-05-2007, 10:19 AM
i don't know what I'd do, I can't even begin to express how scared I am of all spiders of every size.. not to mention a big one just showing up on my floor or celing...

majesty
10-05-2007, 03:09 PM
is it one of those ones that violently vibrate their webs when you come near them and disrupt them at all?

joeysgreen
10-06-2007, 11:07 PM
There was a slightly bigger one out tonight, even after the evening cold had set in (11pm). I left him out to catch whatever bugs havn't died yet.

Ian

Aloysius
10-31-2007, 10:17 PM
No you are thinking of the right thing. I have never heard of them here before. They live in BC. Whether rumor or true I hear they will sometimes attack you and their venom is strong enough to make someone sick.