PDA

View Full Version : I cant resist any more

Brother Nature
03-29-2008, 06:39 PM
Well instead of hyjacking Neils thread any further I decided to start my own.
I am looking into getting a Scorp.Just a few questions.
First of are there many on the market that are handleable?I have read that they prefer to be left alone but for cleaning.
what is the sting like,i think it would be different from species to species.I got bit by a Black velvit spider (not sure on the scientific name) but it was very painfull.With alot of swelling.
Are there any species that can be kept comunaly?
Thanks in any help

Cody
03-29-2008, 06:53 PM
Emperor scorpions can be handled, but I was always told to allow it to just walk onto your hand(mine only did this once or twice, and my hand had to sit in its tank for 15min before it did). If you get them tiny enough, even grabbing them by the tail is dangerous, they can twist around and get you with their pincers. Dont know about bigger ones.

I only got stung once, the initial sting wasnt that bad, until she twisted :( I suppose I could compare it to a prick from a rose, which really isnt that bad in my books. Might want to ask someone who has more experience getting tagged by one though. Bigger ones probably hurt more. I had minimal swelling, maybe lasted 30min or so, slightly numb, but wasnt enough to really bug me. Besides, they are more likely to pinch you with their talons than sting you. And the pinch isnt bad at all.

I have read Emperor scorpions can be kept in groups, as long as your tank is big enough, and has lots of hiding places. I would assume they should all be the same size aswell, to prevent one preying on the smaller one.

I am sure someone like Ollie will come in and provide us all with much needed knowledge on these subjects.

Michael
03-29-2008, 06:55 PM
All that really depends on the species and there is a heck of alot of variety out there, i'll try to answer your questions as best i can.

For handleable species, there are lots out there that can be handled but none would really like it, they all prefer to be left alone but some will tolerate it. That being said, Hadogenes sp (flat rock scorps) are pretty chilled. Pandius imperator (emperor) and Heterometrus sp. (asian forest scorp) can be handled.

For the sting, the ones i mentioned above don't have medically significan venom, but there are many that do, mainly buthids. The general "rule" if you will, is the larger the pedipalps (claws) the less potent the venom. generally, ones that have thick tails pack more of a punch.

some species in the genre Pandius and Heterometrus are communal along with lots of others, i cant think of too many off the top of my head but adults are alot more tolerant of each other than juvies are, sometimes juvies will take a molting cage mate as an easy meal:eek:

Good luck with your choice (i recommend Hadogenes paucidens)!

Brother Nature
03-29-2008, 06:57 PM
When I was in Florida at my fathers years ago,I was told that the smaller the scorp the nastier the sting.

Cody
03-29-2008, 07:00 PM
When I was in Florida at my fathers years ago,I was told that the smaller the scorp the nastier the sting.

Yeah, she was around 2" at the time, right after a molt too. Saw the molting and stupidly though she was dead, put my hand in and she charged out from her flower pot lid hide and stuck me good.

Michael
03-29-2008, 07:03 PM

i guess that is somewhat true, as Pandius, Heterometrus and Hadogenes are some of the biggest scorps and buthids in general are smaller.

Brother Nature
03-29-2008, 07:10 PM
i guess that is somewhat true, as Pandius, Heterometrus and Hadogenes are some of the biggest scorps and buthids in general are smaller.
I had got a chance to see a few when I was there,but most ended up with at the wrong end of a newspapper

Alberta Bred Geckos
03-29-2008, 07:20 PM
LOL I may be getting some Scorps as well Brother Nature. It's all Ollies fault :P too many cool pics of his hatchling Scorps!

Brother Nature
03-29-2008, 07:25 PM
LOL I may be getting some Scorps as well Brother Nature. It's all Ollies fault :P too many cool pics of his hatchling Scorps!
Ya thats what put me over the edge

osirus
03-29-2008, 08:00 PM
Iv been told not till next year :( but i am getting one lol

Brother Nature
03-29-2008, 08:12 PM
Iv been told not till next year :( but i am getting one lol
I never ran it by the old lady yet,but what she dont know wont hurt me

osirus
03-29-2008, 09:21 PM
my parents = anything with more then 4 legs, your out :(

Cody
03-29-2008, 09:38 PM
Neil T usually has some at the shows, I got mine from him for $16 or $17, Dave Avery usually comes with some aswell, think his were $20 though.

Brother Nature
03-30-2008, 08:38 PM
Well it looks like I well be taking the plunge.I'll be picking up a B.Jacksoni and a G.Gracilis at the next meeting.Now to break it to the wife,breakfast in bed should do the trick.

Kings_and_Corns
03-30-2008, 08:45 PM
Your bad Mr. Mike...

Does she know you are getting your Boa back or am I gonna have to sneak it in for you? And does she know Neil and Michelle? I'm sure Neil will be wanting revenge for busting him with the VBB...

Steve

Neil
03-30-2008, 08:48 PM
I'm sure Neil will be wanting revenge for busting him with the VBB...

Naw that was my own foolishness ,not telling her before hand.Although I would enjoy watching someone else make the same stupid mistake I made!

Kings_and_Corns
03-30-2008, 08:51 PM
It was still pretty funny to see... I don't know what was more funnier, the dirty look you got, or the "Oh S***" look you had...

Steve

Brother Nature
03-30-2008, 09:19 PM
She kind of gave up on the snakes,considering Ive gone from over 40 snakes to less than 20 now With the us order The number is still going to be less than 30.I think the roaches bug her more than anything.I knew the knew the VBB thing would probly come up,But I didn't know it was going to put him in the dog house.Had I had known I would have waited tell more people were looking to see him squirm.(jk).
the wife browses the forum the odd time so the cat well be out of the bag soon enough.

joeysgreen
03-31-2008, 10:08 AM
Ollie's centroides gracilis can be kept communally when adult. I handled mine at a reptile meeting once until I was told it wasn't flat rock scorp (stupid pet store, even stupidor owner for not researching it). I don't think the venom will put you in the hospital, but I've heard it can be nasty.

AbraxasComplex
03-31-2008, 04:40 PM
Any of the Centruroides species are communal... gracilis, vittatus, hentzi, to name a few. Most have relatively mild venom (besides gracilis from Cuba, and a another couple species I didn't list), but spook easily and strike multiple times.

Ollie
03-31-2008, 06:35 PM
Any of the Centruroides species are communal... gracilis, vittatus, hentzi, to name a few. Most have relatively mild venom (besides gracilis from Cuba, and a another couple species I didn't list), but spook easily and strike multiple times.

This female came from Central America and I expect she would prove to quite potent. I know I'm not going to risk annoying her.

Ollie

Brother Nature
03-31-2008, 07:14 PM
This female came from Central America and I expect she would prove to quite potent. I know I'm not going to risk annoying her.

Ollie
Hey Im not going to take the chance,There going to be the look dont touch things around here

osirus
03-31-2008, 07:23 PM
Are any scorps deadly if you dont recieve some sort of anti venom within a set amount of hours ? (not allergic reaction)

Ollie
03-31-2008, 07:39 PM
Yes, there are species of scorpion that are medically significant and that can severely injure or kill people. Small children and weak, frail adults are the most likely victims. Having said that I'm sure more people die from dog attacks etc. than sucumb to scorpion stings.
In areas of the world that scorpions are native too, they might have anti-venom for the local varieties. I don't think there is a broad spectrum anti-venom that will cover all possibilities.
I'm almost 100% sure that no hospital in Canada would carry any kind of scorpion anti-venom.

Ollie