PDA

View Full Version : Holothele incei communal setup

Tarantula Canada
03-27-2008, 06:35 PM
Hi all,

I have posted these pics on a few forums, but I am new here so I thought "What the heck, why not here too" !

These are photos of the communal setup Martin and I have of Holothele incei. We started it over 2 years ago by dropping an entire eggsac into the terrarium, and it is still thriving.

http://www.arachnofreaks.com/forum/uploads/TheRedQueen/2007-07-01_133402_communal-mating-3.jpg

http://www.arachnofreaks.com/forum/uploads/TheRedQueen/2007-07-01_133107_Communal-tank-8b.jpg

http://www.arachnofreaks.com/forum/uploads/TheRedQueen/2007-07-01_133021_Communal-tank-9b.jpg

http://www.arachnofreaks.com/forum/uploads/TheRedQueen/2007-07-01_133232_communal-mating-2.jpg

Cody
03-27-2008, 06:38 PM
I had one Holothele incei, Neil Weldon has it now. First T I ever bought, wasnt that exciting or fun on its own. I have a feeling if I had seen this I might of kept it and gotten a couple more.

I have a feeling Neil will be wanting to get some more.

Is there any conflict between any of them?

How many crickets do you throw in there at feeding time?

DBROSE
03-27-2008, 06:45 PM
That reminds me of the movie "arachnaphobia":D

Michael
03-27-2008, 06:49 PM
Did you remove the uninvited guest or let it hang around for a while? (pun intended)

everytime i see this, i want to try it! i'm going to try this with P. regalis, hopefully by the end of summer, how many generations are in there?

Tarantula Canada
03-27-2008, 06:49 PM
Is there any conflict between any of them?

How many crickets do you throw in there at feeding time?

There is a maximum number of tarantulas that the terrarium can house comfortably, so whenever the population grows too high (usually right after an eggsac hatches) there is a bit of cannibalism that happens, but once the numbers stablize there is little or no conflict. We started this terrarium as an experiment based on our observations of this species on our trips to Trinidad. In the wild specimens of this species live very close to one another. In Trinidad we found 3rd and 4th instar spiderlings living with (who we assume to be) their mother, and adult specimens sharing one enterance for 2 burrows. One very cool behavior or this species is that the mother will care for her young after they have hatched, killing prey and feeding her offspring for weeks and eating little or nothing herself.

We usually throw in about 50 crickets of various sizes every week (more if we know an eggsac has just hatched).

Tarantula Canada
03-27-2008, 06:53 PM
Did you remove the uninvited guest or let it hang around for a while? (pun intended)

everytime i see this, i want to try it! i'm going to try this with P. regalis, hopefully by the end of summer, how many generations are in there?

Nope, we leave the uninvited guests in there. Each spider species seems to take up a different niche in the mini-ecosystem of the terrarium, so the H. incei and the guests get along fine.

We belive there are at least 3, maybe 4 generations in the terrarium (for the record, we have not noticed any ill effects if inbreeding within the colony)

Alberta Bred Geckos
03-27-2008, 07:30 PM
Wow that's really interesting and cool....just don't leave the lid open!! :eek: lol Never seen anything like that, thanks for sharing!

Neil
03-27-2008, 08:01 PM
That is very cool.I was going to trade my H.incei to Ollie but I'm not so sure now...Maybe I should buy 20 more!

Cody
03-27-2008, 08:03 PM
Wow that's really interesting and cool....just don't leave the lid open!! :eek:

I dont know if they are different when communal or whether it was just mine, but other than when I first put it in its kritter keeper, it never once went on the sides of its tank.

Mine was pretty skittish too, any movement from something even just a little bigger than it, and it was gone back into its burrow. At one point a cat knocked down its tank and the dirt because a bit slanted(it was drier that I thought it was) so the little sucker adapted to it and made another hole coming out the bottom. All the crickets went there anyways.

Ollie
03-27-2008, 08:39 PM
That is very cool.I was going to trade my H.incei to Ollie but I'm not so sure now...Maybe I should buy 20 more!

Hey, hey. Mine's lonely!

Neil
03-27-2008, 08:40 PM
I thought that might bait you out of your burrow Ollie.

Apryl
03-27-2008, 08:54 PM
That is very cool. Definitely something that's a showpiece (or will at least keep a handful of people out of your house!). How often do you need to clean a setup like that? With so many, plus cricket bodies and leftover molts....

Tarantula Canada
03-28-2008, 05:01 AM
That is very cool. Definitely something that's a showpiece (or will at least keep a handful of people out of your house!). How often do you need to clean a setup like that? With so many, plus cricket bodies and leftover molts....

Honestly... we have never cleaned it:o
There are enough spring tails, non-parasitic mites, and other microorganisms living in the terrarium to keep things relatively clean.

I know a lot of people want to have “dry & sterile” tarantula terrariums, but we find that keeping the terrariums more humid and letting those little critters thrive in a terrarium has benefits for the tarantulas. The non-parasitic/scavenging mites, for example, eat the eggs of parasitic mites, so risk of parasitic mite infestations is reduced. Mites and springtails also feed on the leftovers of the tarantulas (the small pieces that you cannot see to pull out) which helps to keep the terrariums clean. As far as humidity, tarantula eggsacs are (at least for us) statistically more likely to be successful when the substrate humidity is higher.

Melanie
03-28-2008, 11:29 AM
Wow that crazy, lol if i hade something like that my mom would freak =P

Tarantula Canada
05-20-2008, 01:39 PM
UPDATE:

A few days ago we found a new bunch of spiderlings crawling around in the communal tank... looks like another eggsac hatched out!:D

Michael
05-20-2008, 05:44 PM
Congrats! good to hear it's still going well, i was actually just thinking about this the other day, thanks for the update:D

jennayoung99
05-20-2008, 05:50 PM
so cool and interesting, they are a big happy family in there! along with there uninvited neighbors.

DiggertheRed
05-20-2008, 06:29 PM
OH MY GAWD... that is sooooooo cool. I want one!!! errr some... THAT :D

Tarantula Canada
05-23-2008, 11:28 AM
Here is a picture of the proud mama with her young...

http://i177.photobucket.com/albums/w213/leatherface1979/IMG_0517.jpg

Cody
05-23-2008, 11:44 AM
Here is a picture of the proud mama with her young...

http://i177.photobucket.com/albums/w213/leatherface1979/IMG_0517.jpg

Has there been much cannabilism of the new offspring that you have seen?

How hany offspring do H.incei usually have?

Neil
05-23-2008, 11:52 AM
I just got 3 of those little guys to try my hand at a similar display.Should be interesting.

Tarantula Canada
05-26-2008, 06:28 AM
Has there been much cannabilism of the new offspring that you have seen?

How hany offspring do H.incei usually have?

The mother is still killing prey and feeding the babies, so I doubt there is much cannibalism at this point. When the babies leave the nest and have to start finding food on their own it will become more of an issue.

darkhelmet
01-19-2009, 07:48 PM
RESURRECTION!!!!

what do you have in there for plants? what do you have to do to make them thrive and be happy?

Tarantula Canada
01-26-2009, 06:38 AM
The plants are artificial, so no upkeep in that area required.;)

animalover
01-26-2009, 11:10 AM
WOW!! This is facinating!! I can't wait to show Mat!! (Aka Spidermat)

TraceyS
01-26-2009, 12:38 PM
What an incredible display! Thanks so much for posting that!! I have NO desire to duplicate your set up (happy with my three babies...for now) but it intrigues me that a species that I would have thought would be very 'self' oriented would share like that! I gues part of it IS the fact that you feed them very well or they would (through need) have to resort to eating the weaker....

darkhelmet
01-26-2009, 01:28 PM
With the plants being fake, how do you keep the humidity up?

Tarantula Canada
01-29-2009, 06:15 AM
With the plants being fake, how do you keep the humidity up?

The terrarium usually holds the humidty in very well (due to restricted ventilation). If the humidity seems to drop we pour some water directly into the substarte (once every few months or so).

Zookeeper
01-29-2009, 05:10 PM
Very cool, if possible could you show a pic or 2 of the lid/ventilation, i have only had tarantulas since the fall show and am wondering the best type lids to use/build for tanks when my babies get bigger.

azgb
11-23-2009, 09:05 PM
Any new updates on this setup, Martin?

studiobat
12-02-2009, 03:10 PM
I have three living in a 15 gallon together. (snap, Crackle and Pop). they eat like pigs but all three are thriving

prairiechild
12-02-2009, 09:31 PM
thats so cute i might buy some of those now then start my own colony thats pretty cool.

Tarantula Canada
12-20-2009, 09:40 AM
Any new updates on this setup, Martin?

We had a weird mold infestation a few weeks ago. There are still a few juveniles in the terrarium, but many of the smaller specimens are MIA. :(

AbraxasComplex
12-20-2009, 02:41 PM
Sorry to hear. I still have my colony running. The large adult females emerge about once a month to feed, and then I never see them. The other smaller females and younger juvies and slings I see all the time. There are probably 100 in there.