PDA

View Full Version : babby b. smithi

xochi quetzel
03-03-2008, 08:31 AM
hi i just got a tiny hatchling b. smithi and i have only a few questions, first , its in a pill bottle and id like to know the easiest way to get a pinhead in without crushing it or letting the tarantula out ? Second how do i keep the humidity up? Third , i fed my hatchling pink toe everythree days , should i feed this one that often or is once a week enough , i know they grow slowly , but this is all new to me ! Thanx in advance for the help!

huggorm
03-03-2008, 11:10 AM
I used smaller brushes when dealing with pinheads, but i realized its easier to feed slings if you feed it somewhat larger crickets - just crush the head of it first and take away the leftovers after a few days.

Just add a few drops of water now and then. That is sufficient.

Feed it two or three times a week. You cant overfeed them so no need to worry about that. Look at the abdomen, it should be fat and round. If its too small and shrunken its needs more food.

Ollie
03-03-2008, 11:46 AM
Congrats on the new T. B. smithi's are great but slow growers. You shouldn't have too much trouble feeding it. I usually loosen the top and let it rest on the vial while I get the cricket ready to drop in. Rarely does the spiderling try and climb out in the few seconds it takes to drop in a cricket.
To catch the little crickets I use a device called a "pouter". It's basically a little vaccum that you can use to suck up as many as you need. Then just pour them into your vials. They are easy to build and if you need directions I can post a couple of pic's later tonight when I get home.

To keep up the humidity I add a drop or two of water when I feed. You'll just have to gauge how moist the substrate is and add accordingly. I feed little ones like yours every 2 or 3 days. Once they get bigger I start to slow down. Just note if the spiderling doesn't eat soon after you drop in the cricket as it may be getting ready to molt and you don't want a hungry cricket in with a defenseless spiderling!

Ollie

Ollie
03-03-2008, 11:50 AM
If you use a prekilled cricket like Lelle says then you won't have to worry about the spiderling molting. You just have to be a little more diligent in housekeeping.

Ollie

xochi quetzel
03-03-2008, 01:49 PM
thanx for the help , id love instructions on how to build a pouter, i think ill trythe pre killed crickets im just afraid ill mash the crap out of the little guys! how long does it usually take for a sling to grow large enough to start getting its colors?

Ollie
03-03-2008, 03:07 PM
how long does it usually take for a sling to grow large enough to start getting its colors?

The last guy that waited for a B. smithi to grow large enough to show it's colors died of old age!:D Seriously they grow very slowly and depends a lot on temperature and how often they are fed. I think mine took about a year to start showing colors.

I'll post a couple of pictures of the pouter later tonight.

Ollie

xochi quetzel
03-03-2008, 03:23 PM
thats what i thought id read they grow slowly , ill be as patient as i can , lol im so excited to have the little guy! Thanks again for the help!

Ollie
03-03-2008, 08:08 PM
Here's the pic's of a pouter that I promised you XQ.
You'll need a large pill vial about 1.75 inches by 4 inches tall, about 30 inches of .25 inch tubing, glue (I used hot glue) and a drill or sharp knife to put two holes in the lid.

http://i37.photobucket.com/albums/e90/Meidinger/Pouter002.jpg

The long piece of tubing is about 24 inches and the short one is about 6 inches.
http://i37.photobucket.com/albums/e90/Meidinger/Pouter003.jpg

Almost forgot, you need a tiny pice of screen to glue to the end of the short piece of tubing thats inside the vial.
http://i37.photobucket.com/albums/e90/Meidinger/Pouter010.jpg

Once built , you use the long end to suck up the crickets while you suck on the short piece to draw them up into the vial. The screen keeps them from getting into your mouth or lungs cuz thats nasty.:eek:
Once you have as many as you want then you can take the lid off and shake them into whatever vial or container you want.
Ollie

joeysgreen
03-03-2008, 09:43 PM
That's a really cool idea Ollie! Where'd you ever come up with that?

Ollie
03-03-2008, 10:18 PM
Much as I'd like to take credit for this, I can't. I learned about it on another forum.

Ollie

Neil
03-04-2008, 12:15 AM
Looks like a leftover from the old hippe days Ollie.;)

Ollie
03-04-2008, 06:35 AM
I knew it looked familiar just couldn't remember where from;)

Cinderz
03-04-2008, 06:37 AM
What would hippies do with crickets? ;)

Ollie
03-04-2008, 07:43 AM
Roast'em and mix them in with their granola. MMMMM yummy!

Cody
03-28-2008, 11:19 AM
Here's the pic's of a pouter that I promised you XQ.
You'll need a large pill vial about 1.75 inches by 4 inches tall, about 30 inches of .25 inch tubing, glue (I used hot glue) and a drill or sharp knife to put two holes in the lid.

http://i37.photobucket.com/albums/e90/Meidinger/Pouter002.jpg

The long piece of tubing is about 24 inches and the short one is about 6 inches.
http://i37.photobucket.com/albums/e90/Meidinger/Pouter003.jpg

Almost forgot, you need a tiny pice of screen to glue to the end of the short piece of tubing thats inside the vial.
http://i37.photobucket.com/albums/e90/Meidinger/Pouter010.jpg

Once built , you use the long end to suck up the crickets while you suck on the short piece to draw them up into the vial. The screen keeps them from getting into your mouth or lungs cuz thats nasty.:eek:
Once you have as many as you want then you can take the lid off and shake them into whatever vial or container you want.
Ollie

Just made one today, the most difficult part was getting a bigger pill bottle from the pharmacy here...the women looked at me like I asked for a pound of cocaine. Luckily the head pharmacist knows me and knew I ordered some spiderlings, so a quick explanation got me a few various sizes.

Raeb and Eada
03-28-2008, 11:28 AM
Looks like a leftover from the old hippe days Ollie.;)

ROFLOL! That's awesome!

Volantis
03-28-2008, 12:34 PM
[quote=Ollie;20700]The last guy that waited for a B. smithi to grow large enough to show it's colors died of old age!:D Seriously they grow very slowly and depends a lot on temperature and how often they are fed. I think mine took about a year to start showing colors.

thats weird.. when I got mine last May at the show it was tiny, brown and in a pill bottle.. within about 2 months it had shed twice and on the second shedding it had its colors... now its probably about 3 inch leg span and its colors are very bright ... just like an adult...

Ollie
03-28-2008, 01:31 PM
Good for you. Lets see some pictures:) I did say that it depends a lot on temps and how often they are fed.

Ollie

xochi quetzel
03-28-2008, 02:13 PM
yes please post some pics , we are using the prekilled crickets and my little guy really eats well , and i do see that he is growing fast , but that would be super duper fast ,what were you feeding those crickets?

huggorm
03-28-2008, 02:24 PM
All is relative when it comes to "slow" - I had slings/juveniles of a unknown species from South America that molted and you couldnt see any difference.
Brachypelma in the redleg group are known for taking some time to mature but they dont grow as slow as the other species I used to keep. Also the males usually grow faster then the females which usually are the case with all species.

Another species that have a reputatiojn to grow slow is Citherischius crawshayi - but this is more true when it comes to larger juveniles and older. As slings they dont grow particular slow.

/Lelle

Volantis
03-28-2008, 02:48 PM
I gave it normal 2 week crickets.. it just ate like crazy... like sometimes 5 or 6 at a time.. it had them hanging off each fang like a sheesh ka bob lol...I will post pics soon.. I need a better camera cause with the spiders they always seem kinda fuzzy...

Also had a question for Ollie or anyone that would care to answer.. do you find a difference in temperament between males and females? I dont know what mine is maybe I could bring it to a meeting and have you (Ollie) take a look if you didnt mind....

Neil
03-28-2008, 03:16 PM
I can sex it for you if Ollie isn't there.

huggorm
03-28-2008, 03:27 PM
Also had a question for Ollie or anyone that would care to answer.. do you find a difference in temperament between males and females? I dont know what mine is maybe I could bring it to a meeting and have you (Ollie) take a look if you didnt mind....

I have never seen a difference in temerament between sexes. I find the differences in temperament more on a individual basis.

Volantis
03-28-2008, 03:54 PM
ok good, so the only difference is how long they live then and maybe size which is no big deal....

Thanx Neil.. I will have to bring it with me next meeting in April...