PDA

View Full Version : Scorpion pics

rhacodactylus
01-10-2008, 10:24 PM
Got a new UV flashlight in from the Bean Farm with my order of heat tape so I thought I would take a picture of one of my son's baby emperors with it. The light it produces is a lot more intense than the cheap one I had before.

http://members.shaw.ca/rhacodactylus/DSC00278.JPG

xochi quetzel
01-11-2008, 12:21 AM
one day i hope to own an emperor baby too!

joeysgreen
01-11-2008, 01:57 PM
Cool Neil, do you have any more of the flashlights?

Michael
01-11-2008, 02:14 PM
That's a good picture, i haven't had alot of luck (still...) with taking black light shots, do you do anything special?

Ollie
01-11-2008, 02:38 PM
Hi Neil,

Can you post a picture of your new blacklight? Is it LED? if so how many?

Thx,
Ollie

rhacodactylus
01-11-2008, 10:02 PM
Can you post a picture of your new blacklight? Is it LED? if so how many?

I used a LED 32 black light from Bean Farm (www.beanfarm.com (http://www.beanfarm.com)). Their site is down right now but when it is up go there and on the left you will see a link for UV flashlights. They have 2. The one I got is the $110 one.

That's a good picture, i haven't had alot of luck (still...) with taking black light shots, do you do anything special?

I didn't do anything special. I think it is a function of the strength of the UV light I used. I have a cheap one here that cost $8 at Walmart a few years ago, and while the scorps do fluoresce under it, they are no where near as bright as they are under the new light.

Just have to convince someone to do some field herping down south with me to look for some P. boreus (Ian?) come spring.

rhacodactylus
01-11-2008, 10:16 PM
Here's a pic of one of the B. jacksoni (TL=~15mm) I got from Ollie. Sorry for the quality but I had trouble holding onto the flashlight and taking the pic with the other hand.

http://members.shaw.ca/rhacodactylus/DSC00282.JPG

joeysgreen
01-12-2008, 01:32 AM
Neil... I'm so up for that. I was going to get a hand held black light that we use in the vet clinic, but I don't think it's nearly as powerfull as yours. If we get super stumped, my friend in Penticton knows some hillsides that have them for sure.

Ollie
01-12-2008, 08:54 AM
Just have to convince someone to do some field herping down south with me to look for some P. boreus (Ian?) come spring.

OOOH Pick me! Pick me! (I know where to go);)

P. boreus collected last fall.

http://i37.photobucket.com/albums/e90/Meidinger/untitled6-6.jpg

Ollie

joeysgreen
01-12-2008, 10:07 AM
Hey Ollie, what else did you find there? How far south?

Kioka
01-12-2008, 10:57 AM
Hey, you got them around Lethbridge? I haven't seen one of those for long time.

Damnit, now I wanna move back down to Lethbridge again. :( Better herping opportunity, better invert opportunity and far more interesting rocks. Hell, Drumheller isn't even that far away for the dinosuar stuff. The only interesting thing northern Alberta has for dinosaur is Grande Prairie's Pine Creek fossil site.

Ollie
01-12-2008, 11:08 AM
Found her in the MIlk River Valley. Only other thing I found of much interest were some Red Velvet Ants. Didn't have much time to search since I was with non believers. Sure do want to go back this spring or summer.

joeysgreen
01-12-2008, 11:30 AM
I was heading for the milk river this summer, that and Cypress Hills. I'm bringing a snake hook though :) Are there ant lions there, they sure were neat finds in BC. We'd toss in some ants and watch them get sucked in.

Ollie
01-12-2008, 01:11 PM
Yeah, I'd like to go again this year. Long as its not the last week in July. I'm booked to fly to Tucson for the ATS conference. Lots of reptiles down there as well as inverts. Just about stepped on a Mojave rattler down there last year. Never know what you're gonna find in the desert at 2 am with only a blacklight.

joeysgreen
01-12-2008, 02:39 PM
Ollie, you and your traveling are going to make everyone on here upset and jealous. Arizona is only the rattler capital of the world. With 13 crotalus species plus one elapid and 37 other snakes; not counting subspecies... a herper's paradise. Interesting enough, an aquantance of mine told a story of a tarantula migration down in AZ. To gross his wife and daughter out, he lay down in the middle of the road and let hundreds of T's climb up and over him to get to the other side. Now that's neat!

rhacodactylus
01-12-2008, 03:18 PM
I would be up for some field herping this year down south for sure if we can arrange a time.

BTW here is the link for the UV flashlight I bought:

http://beanfarm.com/cgi-bin/store/agora.cgi?cart_id=4694840.1768&product=Handling%20Equipment&user4=UV%20Flashlight

joeysgreen
01-12-2008, 05:48 PM
Yours definately looks superior, but I wonder how well the $40 one works. $110 is a little steep for what I can afford right now.

rhacodactylus
01-12-2008, 07:21 PM
The difference between the 2 is probably just intensity. When Ollie dropped off the baby jacksoni, he had a small one like the one pictured on the Bean Farm site. I can bring mine to the meeting and if Ollie (Ollie, you reading this?) can bring his, we can compare the two.

Ollie
01-13-2008, 12:29 AM
Yup, I'll bring mine. I just put a bid in on ebay tonight for four 49 LED flashlights. I'll have at least two for resale if anyone needs. Probably be about 20 bucks each.

Michael
01-13-2008, 10:00 AM
Yup, I'll bring mine. I just put a bid in on ebay tonight for four 49 LED flashlights. I'll have at least two for resale if anyone needs. Probably be about 20 bucks each.

I'd probably take one off your hands, the ones i have right now aren't the best.

westcoastwelder
01-13-2008, 05:20 PM
P = parabuthis? i used to know all the more well known species, I had a whole slew of scorpions for quite a while til I went to camp to work and they all mysteriously died in the care of a roomate.... A friend tells me there are a lot of good collecting areas in keromeos, up near a radio tower? maybe. lot of rattlers tho.

rhacodactylus
01-13-2008, 06:14 PM
P = Paruroctonus (Canada's only native scorpion genus)