PDA

View Full Version : My new female P. regalis

Michael
12-28-2007, 10:56 AM
Well, i just got home from picking up a Female P. regalis (the one that was in the classifieds) and boy, is she ever stunning, she is very well fed and lookin' good!

here are a couple pics of her new home, and a couple of her.
http://img413.imageshack.us/img413/6625/img2075rt4.jpg

ya, i need a bigger piece of wood...but that's the only one i have so i'll have to buy her something on the weekend.
http://img258.imageshack.us/img258/7834/img2076ng8.jpg

and now for her.
http://img246.imageshack.us/img246/231/img2077ad3.jpg

http://img184.imageshack.us/img184/2176/img2078hy7.jpg

i'll get better pics of her when she is in her new home, i just put the KK inside the exoterra enclosure, she'll come out when she is ready.

animalover
12-28-2007, 02:14 PM
She sure is puurrdy!
Mat wants one sooo bad but we have a 2 year old daughter and 2 chihuahuas. I would hate for that thing to get out, you just never know. :( One day.

Enjoy your new addition!!

Michael
12-28-2007, 03:08 PM
She sure is puurrdy!
Mat wants one sooo bad but we have a 2 year old daughter and 2 chihuahuas. I would hate for that thing to get out, you just never know. :( One day.

Enjoy your new addition!!

thank you, She is very nice looking, you can kind of see the hints of purple around the carapace, if i can get a better "face" shot, she also has purple around her eyes, but i probably won't be able to get those pics until tomorrow.

brokenhalo
12-28-2007, 03:49 PM
awesome T cant wait to see some action shots of her in her new home!!!!

Michael
12-28-2007, 04:24 PM
well, she got acclimated to her new home quicker than i thought, here she is, unfortunately, this is the only pic that turned out...i'll get some more real soon up here.

http://img182.imageshack.us/img182/2280/img2080fs0.jpg

EDIT: here is another pic, unfortunately she has now wedged herself down by the block of moss, behind the wood so i can't get any good pics.
http://img168.imageshack.us/img168/7517/img2086fy7.jpg

animalover
12-28-2007, 04:27 PM
Our A. Avic has purple eyes too!!

Glad she is feeling right at home!

Michael
12-28-2007, 05:02 PM
Here are 2 more pics, sorry for the play by play here, i just can't get over this one, it's so beautiful and i'm very excited to have her. I hope i'm not boring anyone with all these pics.

EDIT: she measured in at 7".

Here is a ventral shot
http://img174.imageshack.us/img174/2472/img2090at8.jpg

and this dorsal shot shows her purple eyes pretty good
http://img201.imageshack.us/img201/1313/img2092si4.jpg

brokenhalo
12-28-2007, 05:07 PM
wow the markings on the underside are outstanding!!! thanks for sharing.

Spidermat
12-28-2007, 05:15 PM
wow she sure is a beauty!! i can't wait to get into the ornamentals!! only a couple more years lol

Alberta Bred Geckos
12-28-2007, 07:04 PM
Cool stuff! Nice T/pics!

joeysgreen
12-28-2007, 08:46 PM
She sure does have an amazing pattern and colouration. Is she handleable, or display only?

Spidermat
12-28-2007, 10:23 PM
unfourtunately most of the prettiest tarantulas are very aggresive and the ornamentals venom packs a mighty punch. apparently from what i've heard it can lay you out for a few days and the P. Regalis is in that catagory. i wouldn't handle it.

Michael
12-29-2007, 09:42 AM
unfourtunately most of the prettiest tarantulas are very aggresive and the ornamentals venom packs a mighty punch. apparently from what i've heard it can lay you out for a few days and the P. Regalis is in that catagory. i wouldn't handle it.

I like to use the word defensive when talking about T's, none are really aggressive. These do have some of the more potent venom in the Tarantula world and some bite reports i've read are a bit scary, that said, some people do handle them but it is not something i would recommend unless absolutely necessary.

joeysgreen
12-29-2007, 09:50 AM
Scary as in, it could put a child in danger? Or scary as in, the kid sure would learn their lesson?

Michael
12-29-2007, 11:05 AM
Scary as in, it could put a child in danger? Or scary as in, the kid sure would learn their lesson?

i would say the kid would sure as heck learn their lesson, some people suffer some long term effects which includes muscle cramping around the bite area. here is a link to some bit reports.
http://www.arachnoboards.com/ab/showthread.php?t=23870
that link is just for the regalis, if you backtrack one page you will find lots of reports for lots of species.

there is another bad one somewhere, which is about the worst bite report i have ever read and i think it was a regalis, but remember, lots of bites are dry bites and sever bites are few and far between, if you're smart when working around your tarantula, you should never really get into a situation where it could potentially bite you. Always know here the spider is before you open the cage, and use long tweezers.

joeysgreen
12-29-2007, 11:11 AM
Ya, I've come rather versed (though only mildly experienced) with working with venomous reptiles (I guess the same works with inverts) as it's where this hobby is taking me. For now though, I'm limited by a 3 year old and a wife adamately against anything venomous and of consequence.

Kioka
12-29-2007, 11:22 AM
Heh, you means "was," right Ian?

Anyway... nice looking tarantula. I can't imagine someone handling a regalis... I am still jumpy around my centipede, and that's only when it's time to refill the waterbowl or feeding...

Michael
12-29-2007, 11:30 AM
Now that i reread that one post, i really shouldn't have used scary to describe it, i'm probably just adding to the misconception that these T's are the worst out there. Really, the worst bite you will get from a T is probably nothing compared to what some scorpions, a select few True spiders, and a few species of snakes can do to a person. T venom (and i am by no means an expert, all i know is what i get from other people on forums of what i read on the net and in hobbyist books) is mild in comparison to venom other animals posess and is not geared towards taking down large animals, they feed on insects and small animals and rely mainly on speed and strength to overcome their prey, venom is really not the first line of defense for tarantulas.

Ollie
12-29-2007, 11:40 AM
What Mike says is true. I wouldn't worry so much about the T envenomating me as me accidently hurting the T while handling her. They are extremely quick and have been known to teleport to the far corners of your room!:D

Ollie

joeysgreen
12-29-2007, 11:46 AM
What do you mean Andrew... was? I used "is" because it's only delayed. They do indeed sound like an exciting critter. I always have thought of t's as slower.

Kioka
12-29-2007, 11:58 AM
Hahaha, good to see you haven't given up your dreams rather than letting the wife rule over completely then. :p I could go for a couple myself... if only I haven't downed on the offer to go to Ontario to be under a mentor... Oh well, university comes first!

I only went with a centipede since they could burrow to get grubs, otherwise I would get a tarantula. I really hate crickets. I know some tarantulas can be tweezer-fed, but not all...

Spidermat
12-29-2007, 05:53 PM
I like to use the word defensive when talking about T's, none are really aggressive. These do have some of the more potent venom in the Tarantula world and some bite reports i've read are a bit scary, that said, some people do handle them but it is not something i would recommend unless absolutely necessary.

sorry mike you are absolutely right.. i have yet to see a tarantula attack someone for no reason... defensive is the right word. As for the children they would probably react alot worse to the bite but you never know what could happen. i have a 2 year old daughter at home so i'll wait to get ornamentals ti'll she's older for that reason :)

Michael
12-29-2007, 06:13 PM
sorry mike you are absolutely right.. i have yet to see a tarantula attack someone for no reason... defensive is the right word. As for the children they would probably react alot worse to the bite but you never know what could happen. i have a 2 year old daughter at home so i'll wait to get ornamentals ti'll she's older for that reason :)

no reason to apologize, i still catch myself saying aggressive sometimes, i just like to correct people;)

And i completely agree on the children thing, no sense risking it if you don't have to. Besides, waiting a few years has it's benifits, hopefully species like P. metallica will be cheaper and you can start with a beautiful species like that (although, i think P. regalis are far underrated in terms of beauty, those blue ones grab all the glory:rolleyes:)

Melanie
12-29-2007, 08:16 PM
Cool T, nice colors

Spidermat
12-30-2007, 02:16 AM
no reason to apologize, i still catch myself saying aggressive sometimes, i just like to correct people;)

And i completely agree on the children thing, no sense risking it if you don't have to. Besides, waiting a few years has it's benifits, hopefully species like P. metallica will be cheaper and you can start with a beautiful species like that (although, i think P. regalis are far underrated in terms of beauty, those blue ones grab all the glory:rolleyes:)

ya know buddy i really like the P. Metallica they are amazing in color but the P. Regalis is just as amazing. You have a remarkable collection there!!:)